Supervisor, Client Services
The Supervisor, Client Services provides supervision and coordination of the enquiries team across locations and channels, to provide high quality customer service to current and prospective students and community members in a consistent, skilled and knowledgeable manner to enhance the student experience and the image of JCU. The incumbent provides direction to the student enquiries team, ensuring accuracy and consistency of information, advice, customer service and enquiry responses on a broad range of student matters.
The Supervisor, Client Service recruits and coordinates enrolment assistants and peak period casual staff, supporting continuous business process improvement and review.
Division of Academic and Student Life
The Division of Academic and Student Life is responsible for the overall strategy in relation to learning and teaching, academic quality, student services, careers and counselling, equity and library and information services at JCU. The Division plays a critical role in working with and across the Colleges and Divisions at JCU and also works in collaboration with the Office of the Senior Deputy-Vice Chancellor in driving and meeting the University’s objectives and Strategic Intent. The Division of Academic and Student Life oversees a large component of the student experience within James Cook University.
The Division includes the Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement Directorate, Library and Information Services Directorate, and the Student Services Directorate.
Student Services Directorate
The Student Services Directorate provides academic, administrative and student support services to the University community and is responsible for a large component of the non-academic domestic and international student experience at JCU. The Directorate plays a pivotal role in relation to the student experience, the ability of the University to meet its enrolment and financial targets and the reputation of the University.
James Cook University
Division of Academic and Student Life
Student Services Directorate
- Monitor and supervise operations of the enquiries team to deliver high quality, client focused, enquiry management services to prospective and current students, staff and the general public, including determining and delivering thorough and appropriate solutions; referring to other service areas or escalating where appropriate; and ensuring a ‘getting it right the first time’ focus in all interactions.
- Allocate and utilise both substantive and casual staffing resources to ensure appropriate service capacity is maintained across locations and across channels at all times and that resources are used effectively and efficiently to achieve operational targets and meet service standards.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of JCU policies and procedures relating to student services functions in order to deliver high quality, consistent, accurate and compliant customer focused solutions, acting as the first level of escalation for complex enquiry or service matters.
- Monitor and undertake quality assurance activities to ensure data integrity and accuracy of record keeping in administrative and enquiry management processes, maintaining proficiency in the suite of student support IT system to assist and coach enquiries team members, including development and delivery of presentations to students, staff and colleagues as part of training and promotional activities.
- Develop strong two-way staff communication within the Student Services Directorate and with colleagues and stakeholders throughout the University to build and maintain effective, collaborative relationships and information sharing networks that better enable the enquiries team to deliver exceptional service.
- Oversee the implementation of peak period service strategies including operational activities, recruitment, training and coordination of peak period casual teams.
- Provide effective management and decision making of enquiries team, including performance reviews to ensure a culture of high performance, customer service, teamwork and continuous improvement.
- Actively engage in continuous improvement including seeking and sharing information, identifying barriers to customer service, recommending procedural and documentation improvements and participating in peer to peer training, collaborative working groups and project work as required.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff. Your specific level descriptor can be found at:
Professional and Technical
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Supervisor, Client Services is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Supervisor, Client Services is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Supervisor, Client Services is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
- It is a requirement of this position to undertake occasional travel between campus locations.
- It is a requirement of this position to participate in operational activity outside of the normal span of hours in accordance with the Enterprise Agreement.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against selection criteria.
- Degree qualification with relevant experience; or Diploma qualification with at least 4 years subsequent relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education and/or training.
- Proven ability to operate as an effective leaderfocusing on efficient and effective use of resources across a diverse team with multiple functions and competing priorities; and demonstrated experience in recruitment and selection processes, and providing effective feedback and training to direct reports.
- Demonstrated broad experience working in a fast paced, customer focused environment demonstrating a professional and enthusiastic natureproviding information and advice, includingexercising confidentiality, discretion, respect and integrity when interacting with a broad range of clients.
- Demonstrated well developed written and oral communication, and proven proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel and the ability to adapt to new software packages.
- Demonstrated significant problem solving skills and proven ability using sound judgment to develop appropriate, innovative solutions to complex operational and service problems and high level organisational and time management skills to work under pressure, effectively monitor multiple functions and maintain a service quality focus at all times.
- Demonstrated high level interpersonal skills including an understanding of team dynamics with proven ability to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders and effectively manage customer complaints.
- A sound knowledge of (or ability to quickly acquire) a broad range of JCU student policies, procedures and protocols and a good understanding of the Queensland secondary school systems and tertiary entrance application procedure.