Associate Professor in Applied Linguistics
The Department of Teacher Education has approximately 360 members of staff, and around 4,000 students. The department offers a complete degree programme that qualifies students for teaching positions in all subjects and stages of Norwegian primary and secondary education. The department also offers a wide range of continuing education and in-service courses for teachers and school leaders, and has a separate bachelor programme in archive and collection management. Many courses are offered in collaboration with other departments at NTNU. NTNU and The Department of Teacher Education host The Norwegian National Research School in Teacher Education (NAFOL) and have their own PhD programme in Research with focus on Teacher Education and School Practice. Members of the department carry out a wide range of school and education based research projects.
The Department of Teacher Education is announcing a permanent full-time position as Associate Professor in TESOL/English applied linguistics and second language acquisition.
The Department of Teacher Education offers English modules which are part of the 5-year integrated Master’s programme in primary and secondary education. There are three different programmes: primary education for grades 1-7, secondary education for grades 5-10 and secondary education for grades 8-13. The department also offers a post-graduate certificate of education and a 2-year Master’s programme in English and foreign language education. NTNU also offers in-service courses in English for teachers in primary and secondary school.
The Department of Teacher Education currently consists of 1 Professor, 8 Associate Professors, 4 Assistant Professors and 1 PhD student in English.
- Teaching and research in TESOL/English applied linguistics and second language acquisition within different study programmes
- Examination work without special remuneration
- Research within his/her professional field and contribution to relevant research groups
- Participation in administrative work
- Responsibility for the subject area together with the other academic members of staff
- Teaching activities in accordance with the relevant curriculum and to assist in further developing the subject area and teaching programme, including continuing education and in-service courses
- Supervise master students, research fellows and doctoral candidates in his/her discipline
The successful candidates are obliged to follow the regulations that concern changes and developments within the discipline and/or the organizational changes concerning activities at NTNU.
- A Norwegian PhD (or foreign equivalent PhD) in TESOL/English applied linguistics or English second language acquisition is required.
- Teaching experience from Norwegian primary or secondary school level and/or other relevant foreign institutions of education is required.
- Experience using ICT in an educational context is desirable.
- To be considered for appointment, a certificate of completed teaching practice and training (practicum) is required. Candidates without such training will be required to complete it within two years of employment. NTNU offers such courses.
- In addition to the formal academic qualification, the candidate’s personal skills, enthusiasm for teaching students, and the ability to work constructively and effectively as part of a team are crucial in the assessment of the successful candidate.
Scientific work which is relevant to schools and/or teacher education will be emphasized in the assessment. Applicants with documented ability to publish in recognized international scientific journals within their specialist area will be prioritized. Scientific work from the past five years will be given particular weight. The ability to initiate and lead research and development will also be emphasized.
Pedagogical skills and qualifications will be emphasized. The assessment will be based on documented teaching material, the form and quality of the scientific work, teaching experience, supervision of master and doctoral students, and other pedagogical experience. Quality and breadth will also be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview and will be asked to prepare a short lecture intended for a student audience.
Salary, terms and conditions:
Salary for Associate Professor (Førsteamanuensis): Salary Code 1011, starting salary NOK 485,700 minimum. The successful candidate will normally be paid between NOK 494,400 and NOK 686,700. By law, 2% of the gross salary will be paid to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from salary deductions.
Terms and conditions of the position are subject to the current Acts and Regulations for Norwegian State Employees.
The successful candidate is required to live within commuting distance from The Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim.
Total work distribution will be divided between research, teaching and administration. The division between the different areas will vary, but over time, research and teaching will be equally distributed.
Employees in academic positions who are not already fluent in a Scandinavian language must within three years obtain knowledge of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language at an equivalent standard to level three in the Norwegian for Foreigners courses provided at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU. The University provides such courses.
The candidate must submit the following within the application deadline. These documents must be posted electronically via jobbnorge.no:
- A cover letter/application
- A complete CV
- Digital copies of relevant diplomas and certificates
- No more than 5 academic papers
- A brief description of the candidate’s most important academic papers that the evaluation committee should focus on specifically in their assessment.
Joint work will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contributions from individuals in a join piece of work, applicants should enclose a short descriptive summary of what he/she contributed to the work.
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology wishes to promote equal opportunities in all its employment practices. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
Information about the applicants may be open to public inspection according to the Freedom of Information Act.
Further information about the positions is available by contacting Head of English, Prof. Eivind Nessa Torgersen +47 73 41 27 75, e-mail email@example.com or Deputy Head of Department, Dr. Ingfrid Thowsen, phone +47 90 77 93 97, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Queries about the application process should be directed to the HR-section via email to Aaste Line Strand, email@example.com
The application and attachments should be sent electronically via jobbnorge.no. Relevant diplomas and certificates should also be posted electronically. Certified copies of diplomas and certificates will be required from candidates who are invited for an interview. Please mark the application with this code: SU-106.
About this job
- Deadline Tuesday, February 20, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Kalvskinnet
- Jobbnorge ID 147692
- Internal ID 2017/39752
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Permanent
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!