Safety Technician (Safety Coordinator)
Safety Technician (Safety Coordinator) in the EN Department (EN), Alignments Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE), Coordination, Consignation, Safety Section (COS).
You will join:
The Engineering Department provides CERN with the Engineering Competences, Infrastructure Systems and Technical Coordination required for the design, installation, operation, maintenance and dismantling phases of the CERN accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
The EN-ACE Group is responsible for providing overarching project coordination, work and safety for the accelerator complex, providing support and expertise in matters of project, risks and quality management as well as organizational process; developing and supporting the Organization's engineering, equipment data, maintenance management tools and mechanicals CAD systems; the metrology and alignment of the accelerators.
The COS section within ACE group is responsible for operational safety, worksite coordination and electrical lock-out organization for the LHC machine.
As a Safety Technician in the ACE Group, you will:
Ensure that safety considerations are integrated at all stages of CERN projects and activities, in particular for the construction, renovation and maintenance of the various infrastructures and particle accelerators on the Organization's sites.
Evaluate risks, particularly where several activities are carried out in parallel or in close succession, in view of preventing accidents, occupational illnesses, damage to equipment and impact on the environment.
Provide all partners (CERN, contractors, physics collaborations) with the necessary assistance in risk prevention matters.
Ensure compliance with the general principles of risk prevention and the related CERN rules or Host State rules (where applicable) in all phases of projects.
These responsibilities will require the successful candidate to work in close collaboration with contract managers, CERN's contractors, representatives of experiments, Departmental Safety Officers, and CERN's Safety Commission for all safety matters.
Higher technical diploma in the fields of safety coordination, work safety, or equivalent.
European Health and Safety Coordinator Diploma (Coordonnateur sécurité et protection de la Santé niveau 1).
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
For the design phase: extensive experience in architecture, engineering or project management.
For the installation/construction phase: extensive experience in work control, work management or in health and safety coordination
Field experience related to legislation of Host States (France and Switzerland) would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Knowledge of occupational health.
- Fault tree analysis for incident analysis.
- Safety risk management.
- Knowledge of acoustics.
- Knowledge of non-ionization radiations.
- Knowledge of personal protective equipment.
- Safety conformity assessment.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Building relationships: being able to put self in the shoes of others in order to understand their needs and interests; relating well to all people regardless of category/level within the Organization; relating well to all people regardless of race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Solving problems: adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than "gold-plated" technical solutions; being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.03.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.