Industry Sponsored Professorship/Associate Professorship in Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Industry sponsored Professorship/Associate Professorship in Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (Design automation & Design optimization for construction and operation) IV-2/18
As part of a larger ongoing digitalization drive, Aker Solutions AS and Multiconsult AS are sponsoring a Professorship at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Design automation & Design optimization for construction and operation. The broader research focus for this Professorship will be seeking answers to the following question: “how to utilize and develop new digital technologies that will improve industry’s ability to rapidly identify the best design solutions from a quality, cost and time perspective, and also improve industry’s performance in all phases from conceptual design through execution, operation and decommissioning”.
The Professorship is affiliated with the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Faculty of Engineering Science. The department has approximately 190 employees and includes the following research groups: Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (DAM), Materials, Production Management, Production Systems, Project and Quality Management, Reliability, Availability, Maintenance and Safety. In addition to involvement in applied research, the department is responsible for education at BSc, MSc and PhD level within mechanical and industrial engineering. This Professorship is associated with the research group DAM and will work closely together with other research groups, e.g. Production Systems.
The Professorship will have responsibility for teaching and research in Knowledge-Based Engineering (KBE). This includes Multidiscipline design, simulation and optimization (Digital Twins), Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) and Design for Manufacturing (DFM). Special emphasis is placed on research around KBE as a multi-disciplinary enabler tying computer-aided technologies (CAx) together to automate and optimize activities in all parts of realizing and operating products, plants, buildings, facilities and infrastructure. The research should be cross-disciplinary and cross-industry with strong links to Engineering & Computer Science (I&IKT), Construction/Civil and BIM, Mechanical & industrial engineering, Human/Machine interfacing, and Machine learning & AI. Aker Solutions AS and Multiconsult AS will contribute actively with industrial cases and provide access to relevant facilities and resources as seen relevant for the research. The Professor is expected to establish a knowledge sharing program with the sponsors.
The Professorship will be responsible for establishing research activities. S/he must generate national and international funding as well as supervision of doctoral candidates and publish own research in scientific journals. The recruitment committee seeks primarily senior candidates for full Professorship; however, particularly talented candidates can also be evaluated for Associate Professorship based on their academic productivity. In the latter case, a career path will be established to help the candidate qualify for a full Professorship.
The Professor is responsible for building a portfolio of research projects. S/he must generate national and international (EU) funding, provide supervision of doctoral candidates and publish research in per-reviewed journals. The department searches outstanding candidates with high academic ambitions, productivity and quality. The candidate must, among others, document:
- a PhD degree within Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Civil Engineering, Engineering & Computer Science, Electric Engineering, Data Science, or other relevant area;
- academic achievements and professional qualifications within key areas of the Professorship, especially knowledge-based engineering;
- experience with knowledge based systems, tools or frameworks and Building Information Modeling (BIM)
- a proven track record in initiating and managing research and technology projects (EU and RCN) in collaboration with industry;
- experience from national or international industry in relevant area(s)
- modeling experience (analytical and numerical)
- teaching experience from recognized educational institution(s);
- teaching and supervision capabilities;
- a network in academia and industry, particularly relevant to NTNU;
- relevant industrial experience within area of Professorship.
The applicant must document scientific expertise and a proven publication track record in minimum one key discipline of the Professorship. His/her ability to supervise and initiate research is of particular importance. The applicant must also document specific teaching capabilities within relevant course topics, such as Knowledge-based engineering, Design automation and Digitalization (of engineering processes and products).
Pedagogical skills are important and the evaluation will be based on documentation, including pedagogical education/training, presentation of academic work, experience from supervising students, and teaching, as well as other pedagogical matters. The Professorship evaluation committee will consider both the quality and the scope.
A candidate without a formal pedagogical qualification in university-level teaching, and unable to document equivalent qualifications, is required to successfully complete a defined course offered by NTNU that gives pedagogical qualification in university-level teaching within two years after employment.
The applicants who have been short-listed will be invited for interviews where they have to demonstrate their pedagogical skills in the form of a public trial lecture.
The Professor is jointly responsible for disciplinary matters together with other academic staff in the Department. The Professor is required to participate in teaching activities in accordance with the relevant curriculum and assist in further developing the teaching program, including continued education. The Professor will supervise bachelor and master students, research fellows and doctoral candidates. The Professor must agree to participate in administrative work.
The Professor is obliged to follow the regulations that concern changes and developments within the discipline and/or the organizational changes concerning activities at NTNU.
The appointment will be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. NTNU would like to increase the percentage of female scientists in academic positions, according to the policy outlined in the equal opportunities plan. The following initiatives are relevant here: Start package for women in male-dominated fields. Qualification scholarships and mentor program for women in academic positions.
The preferred candidate should speak a Scandinavian language since positions also includes teaching at BSc level. Other qualified candidates, who don’t yet speak Scandinavian, must within three years obtain knowledge of Norwegian language at an equivalent standard to level three in the ‘Norwegian for Foreigners’ courses provided at the Department of Language and Literature, NTNU.
The position adheres to the Norwegian Government’s policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. Persons with immigrant background are encouraged to apply.
The position as professor follows code 1013, and is remunerated with a minimum gross salary from NOK 605 400 per annum.
The position as Associate Professor is remunerated with a minimum gross salary from NOK 485 700 per annum.
There will be a 2 % deduction to The Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross salary.
Further details about the Professorship can be obtained from Head of Department Torgeir Welo, tel. +47 41440061
Applicants are asked to give an account of their pedagogical qualifications according to prepared guidelines ("Documentation of an applicant’s pedagogical qualifications") which can be obtained from the following address on internet: https://www.ntnu.edu/vacancies/pedagogical-qualifications
The following documents must be enclosed with the application:
- Certified copies of certificates, testimonials and a list of academic work.
- Academic work - published or unpublished - that has relevance to the evaluation of the applicant's qualifications by the evaluation committee (not more than 10 such submissions).
- A description of all the academic work that the applicant feels is most significant and that he/she feels the evaluation committee should pay particular attention to.
- A list of all publications with bibliographical references
Joint work will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contributions from individuals in a joint piece of work, applicants are to enclose a short descriptive summary of what he/she did in this connection.
Applicants are asked to submit the application in English with regard to the evaluation process. Applications are to be submitted via the link on this page. The file number for the position (IV-2/18) is to be clearly stated on the application.
The application deadline is 28 February 2018.
According to the new Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the list of applicants.
ABOUT THIS JOB
- Deadline Wednesday, February 28, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Institutt for Maskinteknikk og Produksjon
- Jobbnorge ID 146753
- Internal ID 2018/81
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Permanent
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!
More searches like this
- Permanent Computer Science Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Norway
- Permanent Engineering & Technology Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Norway
- Permanent Electrical & Electronic Engineering Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Norway
- Permanent Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Norway
- Permanent Civil Engineering Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Norway