Environmental Geographic Information System Specialist
6 days left
- Full Time
Description of Work Unit
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University (CSU). CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DoD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career
development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources
for future generations.
Two Environmental Geographic Information System (GIS) Specialist (Professional/Individual Contributor I, Special) positions are available with the Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands to be assigned Fort Collins, CO. These positions will design cartographic products to provide support for the CEMML’s environmental GIS projects, develop GIStechnical documentation methods, and conduct spatial analysis and spatial modeling for CEMML projects.
Required Job Qualifications
- The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the United States by the proposed start day; CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for these positions.
- BA/BS degree in natural resources management, environmental science, geography, geographic information systems (GIS), history, anthropology, or computer science.
- One year of demonstrated work experience is required in environmental related GIS. Course work will not be included.
- The successful candidate also must have demonstrated training and experience using GIS software, database management software, global positioning system technology, and geospatial technical writing and documentation.
- Superior written and oral communication skills are required.
- Travel to selected Air Force installations may be required for data collection and development.
- The successful candidate must have or be able to obtain a valid driver’s license by the employment start date.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environment (SDSFIE) especially version 3.0 or higher.
- Experience using GPS for data collection, managing spatial data in geodatabases or Microsoft Access databases.
- Knowledge and experience in the U.S. Air Force GeoBase program and knowledge and experience with U.S. Air Force environmental programs are beneficial.
- Related work with U.S. Air Force bases outside the continental U.S. is preferred.
- More than 1 year of related work experience is desirable.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Data Analysis Duty/Responsibility
- The Environmental GIS Specialist will design, develop, and maintain spatial databases. Perform field data collection using global positioning system technology. Using said data, the incumbent will independently develop and maintain spatial databases. Develop methods and conduct spatial analysis and spatial modeling for CEMML projects and prepare project related documents.
Percentage Of Time 75 Job Duty Category Cartography Duty/Responsibility
- Design cartographic products to support CEMML projects within their area of responsibility.
Percentage Of Time 15 Job Duty Category Reporting Duty/Responsibility
- Prepare written project documentation and reports for spatial data management and development.
Percentage Of Time 10
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply no later than 02/04/2018 for full consideration. Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birthdates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
- Statement of Qualifications (one-page letter addressing each qualification described in the announcement) uploaded in the ‘Cover Letter’ slot.
- Transcripts (for each degree earned that is listed under qualifications) uploaded in the ‘Official Transcripts’ or ‘Unofficial Transcripts’ slot.
- Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded) uploaded in the ‘Other’ slot.
References – please include within your application contact information for 3 professional references including at least one supervisor. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License
Search Contact Jacie Ullrich firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.