- Full Time
Electronics Engineer in the Beams Department (BE), the Beams Instrumentation Group (BI), the Beam Position Section (BP).
You will join the Beams Department (BE), responsible for the beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization for all particle accelerators at CERN including the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). You will work in the Beam Position Section (BP) of the Beam Instrumentation Group (BI) and collaborate with many different specialists in the field of electronics, software, mechanics and physics to master the challenges of designing, building, testing and installing the electronic systems required to measure the parameters of accelerated particle beams.
As an Electronics Engineer, your task will be to design, build, test, install and maintain the electronic systems used to monitor the position of the particle beams throughout the entire CERN accelerator complex.
Your main activities will consist of:
- Developing the electromagnetic beam position monitors for the High Luminosity LHC Upgrade Project, based on your knowledge of electromagnetic field theory and with help of electromagnetic simulation software.
- Designing and constructing front-end acquisition systems using analogue, radio-frequency electronic circuits for the conditioning, amplification and filtering of signals produced by electromagnetic pick-up devices.
- Testing prototype beam pick-ups and their read-out electronics in the laboratory, using RF and broadband measurement instruments, such as oscilloscopes, RF/pulse generators and vector network analysers.
- Developing test and calibration equipment for these beam instrumentation systems.
- Installing and commissioning these pick-ups and their associated electronic acquisition systems in the accelerators.
- Maintaining and improving existing systems.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronic engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience as an engineer in the field of radio frequency electronics.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- RF design and simulation.
- Analog circuit design, modelling and simulation.
- Design of analog signal conditioning and processing electronics.
- Analog circuit testing and measurement techniques.
- Commissioning, operation & maintenance of electronic systems.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 28.02.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.