Automation Technical Engineer
Automation Technical Engineer in the Beams Department (BE), Industrial Controls and Safety Systems Group (ICS), Applications Section (AP).
You will join:
- The Beams Department (BE), which is responsible for beam performance over the complete CERN accelerator chain, from the source to the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), and which carries out Research and Development (R&D) activities on the upgrade of the LHC, its injectors and on future accelerators.
- The Industrial Controls and Safety Systems Group (ICS), which develops solutions and provides support for large and medium scale industrial control systems and also promotes their use. The support covers the domains of the experiments, the technical infrastructure and the accelerators.
- The Applications Section (AP), which develops, implements and maintain protection and process control systems, deployed in the CERN industrial facilities (HVAC, Cooling, Cryogenics, Gas systems). To optimize this task the Section employs industrial control frameworks based on proven industrial technologies: SCADA, PLCs, IPCs. Also the Section is in charge of CERN-wide services as the support of PLCs, SCADA and industrial communication technologies.
As an Automation Technical Engineer you will manage small and medium sized projects and particularly you will be in charge of the design, implementation, and commissioning of industrial control systems applied to domains such as process control (e.g. cooling, ventilation, gas), interlock and safety instrumented systems. The scope of this activity includes new projects as well as the consolidation and the renovation of the controls of existing installations.
Specifically, you will be:
- Gathering the requirements of the control systems and compiling all the relevant documents (e.g. specifications, functional analysis, etc.).
- Designing control systems for industrial installations. In some cases the concerned installations are new, but others already exist and the control system must be either consolidated or completely renovated.
- Programming PLCs and configure local operation panels and the SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) layers of the control systems.
- Commissioning by managing the tests offline and in the field.
- Continuously identify, measure, follow, and improve the performance of the control systems.
- Participate to the technology support effort to CERN users of Industrial Control Systems, in particular for PLCs and industrial communications.
Bachelor in the field of industrial automation, control engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience with installation, configuration, commissioning and maintenance of PLC-based control systems, including field interventions in large and distributed control systems.
- Proven experience in software development and integration, concretely (PLC programming and configuring SCADA systems)
- Experience in testing (Factory and Site Acceptance Tests).
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of PLC based control system: using frameworks and/or standards (e.g. cern UNICOS, ISA-88).
- Configuration and programming of PLC and fieldbus system / Programming of PLCs: (e.g. EC-61131-3 standard, STEP7, TIA PORTAL, Unity).
- Configuration, programming and use of Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems: (e.g.WinCC OA).
- Configuration and use of fieldbuses: (e.g. PROFIBUS, PROFINET, Ethernet/IP).
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 25.02.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.