Professor of Security and Strategy
- Full Time
College of Social Sciences & International Studies
Professor of Security and Strategy (Ref: P01047)
Competitive salary reflecting qualification and experience.
The Strategy and Security Institute (SSI) is part of the Department of Politics, a large, diverse and collegiate department. The last two UK research assessment exercises (REF2014 and RAE2008) have cemented its status as one the top ten research departments in the country, and it regularly excels in the National Student Survey.
Following its creation in 2013, SSI has excelled in grant-winning policy-facing research; it teaches a proven, unique practitioner-focused Masters in Applied Security Strategy (MStrat) drawing upon academics from across the University and an extensive honorary network of senior practitioners. SSI’s conflict-related undergraduate modules are hugely popular; and it is achieving access and impact through security and defence-related research and consultancy. The next phase of SSI’s development is aligned to Exeter’s strategic priorities: building on the success of the first five years with targeted investment to build on its burgeoning reputation and to exploit the significant potential for interdisciplinary collaboration across the University and internationally.
We seek a highly motivated, ambitious scholar with strong research, teaching and organisational credentials.
- Have a background in Security, War or Strategic Studies and a profile in the UK or international Security and Defence policy communities.
- Be ready to play a leading role at Chair level in developing SSI, and Exeter’s interdisciplinary research and impact, nationally and internationally whilst contributing to and where necessary leading the debate about UK Defence and National Security Policy in Whitehall and elsewhere.
- Have the energy, academic and personal presence and policy profile to forge successful interdisciplinary teams; a skilled leader with the inclination to collaborate.
- Bring leadership to the Institute, including oversight of the flagship Masters in Applied Security Strategy programme, teaching modules on security and defence issues, inspiring our talented graduate and undergraduate students.
- Be embedded in Politics, home to the Centre for Advanced International Studies (CAIS) and a world-renowned cluster of International Relations scholars.
- Be qualified to PhD level in a relevant discipline.
- Be recognised as an authority within the UK security and/or defence field, be able to demonstrate strong potential for research leadership with excellent publications eligible for REF2021 and a track record of successful grant applications.
The University of Exeter is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities. We combine world-class teaching with world-class research, and have achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework Award 2017. The University of Exeter has over 22,000 students and 4600 staff from 180 different countries and has been rated the WhatUni2017 International Student Choice. Our research focuses on some of the most fundamental issues facing humankind today.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the College PVC, Prof Debra Myhill (Tel: 01392 724767/ D.A.Myhill@exeter.ac.uk) or Dr Robert Lamb, Head of the Department of Politics (Tel: 01392 firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss the post.
For more information: http://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/
The closing date for applications is 18 February 2018.
The University of Exeter is an equal opportunity employer. We are officially recognised as a Disability Confident employer and an Athena Swan accredited institution. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.