Application Programmer Analyst
Description of Work Unit
The CSU Health Network at Colorado State University provides a full range of cost effective, on-campus, mental health and primary care medical services, referral for community specialty care and comprehensive health education and prevention services’ programming. Services such as physical therapy, dentistry and optometry, are available. The CSU Health Network is active in creating a healthy campus environment to support learning and success. For more information about the CSU Health Network at Colorado State University, see http://www.health.colostate.edu.
The Information Technology department at the CSU Health Network supports the electronic health record applications and infrastructure utilized by the organization to securely track and manage student health information. The Information Technology staff provides a full range of technology services including application support, help desk, client computing, systems administration, solutions development, network administration and security management. The Information Technology department is open between the hours of 7:30 am-5:00 pm Monday—Friday. While the department does not provide off-hours support, occasional evening or weekend work is required to perform system maintenance and upgrades.
The Application Programmer Analyst is an entry-level information technology position supporting healthcare software applications. This position will explore and learn many facets of information technology including application support, programming, problem solving, data management, customer support and Windows server administration.
The Application Programmer Analyst works as part of a team supporting and maintaining healthcare applications and technology at the CSU Health Network. This position will learn and master the healthcare applications and business processes, providing application support, configuration, troubleshooting, and programming.
CSU offers full benefits which include Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement programs and more. The University’s Commitment to Campus benefits program offers a wide range of programs, discounts and special benefits available to eligible faculty and staff. For more detailed information about CSU benefits, visit http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/ and http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/fap-insplans-new.pdf.
Required Job Qualifications
- Applicants must have earned a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Information Systems, Applied Computer Technology or Computer Science, or the ability to obtain the degree by May 2018.
- Experience programming in an object-oriented programming language (class or project or work experience). This experience need not be expert-level or language specific; however, strong familiarity and comfort with object-oriented languages is required.
- Experience managing data with SQL, such as extracting and reporting data from relational databases.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Experience supporting multi-user software applications, preferably healthcare applications.
- Experience with healthcare processes, electronic health record systems and insurance processing.
- Experience providing customer support.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and other Professional Characteristics
- Skillset with Python, C#, and Visual Studio.
- Skillset in Windows server administration.
- Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal, organizational, leadership, and communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Possess a high level of initiative, and be able to ask questions and find solutions independently and efficiently.
- Possess a commitment to working with diverse populations, identities, and experiences.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Application Support and Maintenance Duty/Responsibility
- Learn and master application support, configuration and maintenance of the electronic health record applications and associated processes used at the Health Network.
- Investigate and analyze application issues, process problems and data discrepancies, identify the root cause of the problems and implement solutions.
- Install application upgrades and new releases in partnership with application vendors.
- Manage student health insurance data processing in conjunction with the Insurance department, maintaining and exchanging insurance information between the Health Network applications and third-party insurance partners.
- Manage and maintain interfaces between Health Network healthcare applications and outside healthcare partners to ensure accurate and efficient information exchange.
- Manage and maintain interfaces between healthcare applications and CSU partners to ensure information such as student demographics, health network eligibility and other areas are accurate and up-to-date.
Percentage Of Time 50% Job Duty Category Solutions Development Duty/Responsibility
- Define new solutions to improve Health Network processes through effective analysis, requirements gathering and design.
- Develop, test and deploy new solutions through a combination of application configuration and programming in tools such as Python and PowerShell.
- Define and develop regular and ad-hoc reports that provide timely information to employees at all levels of the organization using such tools as SQL, Python and Excel.
Percentage Of Time 20% Job Duty Category Customer Service / Helpdesk Support Duty/Responsibility
- Provide helpdesk support for the full range of Health Network IT services offered, including both phone and in-person support.
- Provide real-time troubleshooting and resolution of IT issues, engaging the rest of the team or escalating when appropriate.
Percentage Of Time 20% Job Duty Category Windows Server Administration Duty/Responsibility
- Assist in administering Windows servers by performing hardware maintenance, troubleshooting, operating system upgrades, security patches and data backup.
- Assist in managing the PC environment using Windows server tools such as Active Directory, Group Policy, Print and File Services and Windows Deployment Services.
Percentage Of Time 10%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Complete applications must include:
- A cover letter addressing Required Job Qualifications, Preferred Job Qualifications and Essential Job Duties
Applicants needing assistance to submit application may contact Tammy Roehrich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact Tammy Roehrich, email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.