Professor of Accounting
QUT is a major Australian university with a global outlook and a 'real world' focus. We are one of the nation’s fastest growing research universities and our courses are in high demand. Our graduates include eight Rhodes Scholars, five of these awarded in the past six years.
We are an ambitious and collaborative institution that seeks to equip our students and graduates with the skills they will need in an increasingly disrupted and challenged world. We are transforming the student experience we offer our 50,000 students and we place a premium on the international and national accreditation of our various professional degrees.
Our internationally award-winning Science and Engineering Centre is home to The Cube, acknowledged as one of the world’s largest digital interactive learning and display spaces. QUT established the world's first Creative Industries Faculty, and we invest heavily in collaborative learning and interdisciplinary research environments.
Further information about QUT can be obtained from the website at www.qut.edu.au.
The QUT Blueprint 5 is our institutional strategic plan. It sets out priorities, strategies and key performance indicators to drive greater coherence and coordination of our efforts. Our overall vision for the future is:
- to provide outstanding real world education through physical and virtual learning environments and innovative courses that lead to excellent outcomes for graduates living in a diverse and complex environment characterised by rapid, transformative change;
- to focus on being a globally leading university that delivers solutions to the challenges of today and of the future through high-impact research that spans discipline boundaries and works in partnership with end users, leveraging our deep technological strengths and alignment to the human capital and innovation needs of the global economy;
- to strengthen and extend partnerships with professional and broader communities to build our reputation as a source of knowledge that is applied to real world challenges.
About the QUT Business School
The QUT Business School provides quality real-world focused teaching, research, executive education and engagement which are internationally relevant and respected. International recognition, established links with the business community and a reputation for producing highly employable graduates has made us one of the most acclaimed business schools in Australia.
The QUT Business School is the first of only two Australian business schools to have triple international accreditation. These international benchmarks of excellence come from the world’s leading accreditation authorities: the Association of MBAs (AMBA), the European Foundation for Management Development (EQUIS) and the US-based Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB).
The QUT Business School is structured around four discipline schools; Accountancy; Advertising, Marketing and Public Relations; Economics and Finance; and Management; as well as the interdisciplinary QUT Graduate School of Business. The Schools collaborate to offer an extensive range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs for Australian and international students. For more information, see www.bus.qut.edu.au. This position is located in the School of Accountancy.
About the School of Accountancy
The School of Accountancy is one of four Discipline Schools within QUT’s Business School (Gardens Point Campus). The School of Accountancy was evaluated as “at world standard” at the last ERA 2015 exercise. The School researches and teaches in the fields of accounting (financial and managerial); audit; accounting information systems; business, corporations and tax law; superannuation and wealth management; forensic accounting; and philanthropy and non-profit studies. The School also hosts The Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies. There are currently 30 full-time academic staff members employed in the School.
The School has a strong research culture with expectations that all staff members undertake scholarly research, publish in high-quality journals, apply for competitive and industry grants and supervise research students. The School has a number of active research programs including: accounting, accountability and performance; accounting for social and environmental sustainability; accounting information systems; corporate and behavioural governance; financial and nonfinancial disclosure and capital markets; forensic accounting; not-for-profit accounting and accountability; regulation and taxation; superannuation and wealth management; and philanthropy and non-profit studies
The School of Accountancy is committed to providing a quality education for students. Staff members are actively engaged in continuous improvement projects involving curriculum design, on-line learning and teaching technologies, graduate capabilities and assessment practices.
The School maintains strong links with the accounting professional bodies. The School also has in place a number of strategic alliances with leading business, industry and government groups.
About the Position
The School of Accountancy is seeking a Professor (up to 2) who will play a leadership role in the ongoing development of the research culture of the School and who will foster excellence in teaching and engagement.
The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional leadership, mentor junior staff and connect researchers. The School expects that Professors will engage with stakeholders external to the School and make a substantial contribution to research funding.
Applications from individuals qualified to teach and research in any of the areas of the School would be welcomed, however particular focus will be given to applications received in one (or more) of the following discipline areas: audit, financial accounting or management accounting.
This position(s) reports to the Head of School, School of Accountancy for supervision, academic leadership and guidance, workload management and for Performance Planning and Review (PPR). The appointee will liaise with staff from Faculties across the University where appropriate.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership in the advancement of accounting research at QUT that builds research capacity, mentors others and drives a high performance and collaborative culture.
- Manage all aspects of the research lifecycle that starts with engaging successfully with others and goes through to the production and communication of high quality and impactful outcomes that benefit others.
- Lead research programs, by forming interdisciplinary research teams and mentoring others.
- Leverage profession, industry, government and community engagement to foster innovation and collaboration and advance research impact.
- Make distinguished and innovative contributions to teaching and learning across the student body (from undergraduate, postgraduate, higher degree, executive etc.)
To be appointed as a Professor the successful applicant must meet the position classification standards outlined in the QUT Enterprise Agreement (Academic Staff).
Real World Capabilities
To deliver on QUT’s global, collaborative and connected vision requires a workforce that embodies the following capabilities:
- Agility and openness to change
- Connectivity and collaboration (intra and inter-disciplinary)
- Cultural inclusion
- Digital literacy
- Future-focused thinking (strategic, innovative & design and entrepreneurial)
- Global in intent and reach
- Leadership of strategy, action and others
- Performance and resource management
Type of appointment
This appointment will be offered on an ongoing, full-time basis.
Gardens Point campus.
- Completion of a doctoral qualification in the relevant disciplinary area.
- Record of outstanding achievement in providing academic leadership in a role in a University or professional setting, and of outstanding contribution in these settings.
- A strong and sustained record of publication in national and international high-quality refereed journals.
- Demonstrated skills in leading all aspects of the research lifecycle that starts with engaging successfully with others both within discipline and transdisciplinary, and goes through to production and communication of high-quality and impactful outcomes.
- Demonstrated track record of your ability to leverage national and international grant schemes, profession, industry, government and community engagement to fund and foster innovation and collaboration, and advance research.
- Demonstrated distinguished and innovative contributions to teaching and learning, including scholarly approaches to teaching and learning and supervision of higher degree research students.
Remuneration and Benefits
The classification for this position is Academic Level E (LEVE) which has an annual remuneration of $209,830 pa. Which is inclusive of an annual salary of $177,309 pa, 17% superannuation and 17.5% recreation leave loading.
QUT is a high quality and flexible organisation that is proud of its excellent employment conditions which include but are not limited to:
- Reduced working year scheme
- Parental leave provisions
- Study support encompassing leave and financial assistance
- Comprehensive professional development
- Salary Packaging
Further benefits can be found at the Working at QUT page.
Information for applicants
The position is open to domestic and international applicants. Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
For further information about the position, please contact, Professor Peter Green, Head of School, School of Accountancy on +61 7 3138 2881; or for further information about working at QUT contact Francine Reynolds, Senior HR Consultant (Advisory Services) on +61 7 3138 4147.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply, please visit www.qut.edu.au/jobs for reference number 17689 .
When applying for this position your application must include the following:
- A current resume that includes a numbered publication list (including Scimago and/or ABDC discipline rankings)
- A brief summary (1-2 pages) outlining 1 or 2 examples demonstrating your specific responses to the selection criteria for the position.
Applications close 4 March 2018