Higher Education Lead
The Ellen MacArthur Foundation
Higher Education Lead
Based full-time in Cowes, Isle of Wight, UK
The Ellen MacArthur Foundation has worked with the HE sector since our launch in 2010. Over this period we have built up extensive academic networks and activities with Universities internationally. We are now looking to scale and catalyse our work with this expanding network, building on a growing momentum in teaching, learning and research for a circular economy.
This is a unique opportunity for an exceptional individual to join our team in Cowes, Isle of Wight. Working at a senior level, you will lead the strategy development of the Foundation’s work in HE, managing teams to drive scale and impact mapped against the organisation’s overall strategic approach.
What we do:
The Ellen MacArthur Foundation is a charity with the mission to accelerate the transition to a circular economy. The Foundation works across five interlinking areas:
- Education & learning – inspiring learners to re-think the future through the circular economy framework
- Business & government – catalysing circular innovation and creating the conditions for it to scale
- Insight & analysis – providing robust evidence about the benefits and implications of the transition
- Systemic Initiatives - transforming key material flows to scale the circular economy globally
- Communications - engaging a global audience around the circular economy
Role & Responsibilities:
- Working at a senior level at the Foundation you will provide leadership on the Foundation’s work in HE. This includes responsibility for developing the overarching vision and strategy of the programme to support the Foundation’s mission and empowering team members to achieve scale and impact in their specific activities.
- You will be driving our understanding of how HE links and complements other key programme areas. This includes creating clear links with other relevant areas of work at the Foundation.
- The role involves creating coherence across the existing programmes, including our Pioneer University programme as well as effective strategies for engaging with a growing network of leading universities around the world. This includes a new phase of work that incorporates a globally accessible free online learning community and a series of face-to-face, internationally-based workshops, aimed at expanding learning for a circular economy on a global scale.
- You will oversee and guide team activities relating to HE around curriculum development, learning design, use of digital technologies, marketing and communications, ensuring that these activities enable and reinforce the overarching strategy and direction of the different programme areas. This will involve mobilising teams both within the Foundation and working with external providers.
- You will be responsible for managing and leading the HE team and all associated budgets.
- It is critical that you have extensive experience of working within HE at a senior level, preferably demonstrating links with business/industry.
- Curriculum development experience in an HE environment is preferable.
- Experience of running professional development sessions with academics would be a plus.
- Strong relationship management skills together with a track record of building HE networks internationally.
- Effective communicator with the ability to articulate the principles and application of the circular economy to academia. As such, background knowledge of circular economy frameworks would be preferable.
- Strong collaborative team member and leader, who takes a solution-focused approach to creative problem solving; enjoys working in a highly dynamic environment.
- You will need highly adaptive team management and people skills and show evidence of working with diverse peer groups, senior staff and a dynamic range of institutional partners.
- You should demonstrate a creative and solutions-focused approach to complex problem solving with experience of effective decision-making in complex environments.
Please apply with CV, covering letter and salary expectation to Barbara Calland (email@example.com)
Desired starting date: As soon as possible
Salary package: Competitive within the charity sector and
dependent on experience
Location: Cowes, Isle of Wight- remote working is not possible for this role
Closing date: 9th February 2018