- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Faculty of Science teaches approximately 7000 full-time student equivalents, with an academic staff of approximately 500 and professional staff of 300. The Faculty operational budget is of the order of $100m annually, excluding business activities and research funds (which total around $80m annually). The Faculty is one of the largest and most complex faculties of UNSW Sydney. It comprises 9 Schools and a number of major Research Centres and field stations.
The School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Science (BABS) teaches undergraduates, mentors postgraduate research students and conducts research in the disciplines of biotechnology, biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, microbiology, environmental microbiology, medical microbiology and immunology.
The School teaches approximately 2,000 full-time student equivalents, and has 33 academics, 31postdoctoral research associates or fellows, approximately 20 other research staff, 152 higher degree research students, 8 technical officers and 8 administrative staff. The School’s operational budget is approximately $9.5M annually, with research income of approximately $6 million annually.
About the role
- $119,207 - $126,491 plus 17% superannuation and leave loading
The School Manager is accountable for overseeing the Schools business operations, including financial management, human resources, physical resources, student support services and WH&S. In addition, the School Manager will act as a change champion for the Faculty whilst we deliver on our 2025 strategy.
The position is part of the Faculty Administrative Management team, led by the Faculty Executive Director (FED) and contributes to and at times leads the development and implementation of Faculty-wide policy, procedures and systems in line with University directions and requirements.
The role of the School Manager, BABS reports to the HoS, BABS with a dotted line to the FED Science and is responsible for all School technical and professional staff.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A relevant degree and extensive relevant management experience or equivalent competency gained through another combination of education, training and experience
- Excellent consultation, influencing and negotiation skills and proven ability to engage effectively with diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in financial management and proven ability to interpret financial data to provide strategic advice
- Proven skills and experience in strategic and resource planning, goal setting and project management
- Substantial experience in business improvement activities and leading change activities
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
T: (61 2) 9385 2101
Applications close: 28th January 2018