Associate Director, Educational Development
Invites applications for the following position (s):
COMPETITION NUMBER: 019
Administrative and Professional Staff (APSA)
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT, GRADE 13
TEACHING AND LEARNING CENTRE
POSITION NUMBER: 116318
Reporting to the Director of the Teaching and Learning Centre (TLC), the Associate Director, Educational Development, is a member of the TLC leadership team and is responsible for the Centre’s educational development units. The Associate Director is responsible for: (1) developing and advancing an educational development strategy and plan within the TLC and ensuring that TLC educational development activities and services are consistent with the Centre’s mandate and priorities; (2) establishing a common framework, processes, standards, accountability measures, and evaluation criteria for educational development; (3) operationalizing, evaluating, and documenting the alignment between the TLC’s strategic directions and priorities with its educational development practices, services, and resources; (4) establishing a team orientation, culture of evaluation for continuous improvement, and synergistic approach to the TLC’s future planning; (5) engaging in a collaborative leadership role with faculty and administrators on institutional or Faculty-level initiatives and directions; (6) project managing select educational development; (7) supervising TLC Educational Consultants, Manager, Educational Media, and Manager, Learning Technology and (8) overall budget planning and forecasting for the areas within the position’s purview. The incumbent accomplishes these responsibilities by engaging in close collaboration with TLC staff, Faculty administration, etc., and working in alignment with the Centre’s principles and procedures. The incumbent and the Associate Director, Operations, Quality Assurance & Strategic Planning, in particular, work together to facilitate cross-functional teamwork to achieve Centre goals and meet the needs of TLC clients.
Doctorate degree in Education and seven years of experience in educational development, educational research, post-secondary teaching and learning, the management of educational projects, and administrative management in a teaching and learning centre, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Excellent research and analytical skills with ability to integrate and analyze large data sets retrieved from multiple sources in a variety of formats.
- Ability to consult on processes to support institutional-level strategic directions and to liaise with and build partnerships between faculty and staff in different disciplines.
- Excellent coaching, leadership, team management, and supervisory skills.
- Excellent strategic planning, cost-benefit analysis, resourcing, and financial budgeting skills.
- Excellent analytical reasoning, problem-solving, time management, planning, project management, supervisory, administrative, and organizational skills.
- Excellent cross-disciplinary oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, presentation skills, and business acumen.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to client service and professionalism in consulting with clients, identifying needs, and facilitating solutions.
- Ability to effectively lead and collaborate on cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams, multitask, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to exercise mature judgment, diplomacy, and discretion and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain a broad perspective on business processes that cross functional lines.
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Ability to work with competing interests and divergent groups to bring about positive change.
- Ability to lead consensus-based decision-making processes; facilitate problem-solving; and resolve contentious issues.
SALARY RANGE: $85,767 to $102,419 per annum
START DATE: ASAP
A detailed resume and cover letter quoting Competition #019 must be received in our office by 4:30 pm on February 5, 2018, addressed to the attention of Linda Chan, Human Resources Advisor. Please follow the application instructions at: http://www.sfu.ca/hr/prospective_employees/HowToApply.html.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
The University is committed to the principle of equity in employment
A more detailed job description may be obtained at www.sfu.ca/jobpostings