Associate Professor in Quantum Chemistry
A fixed-term replacement position is available in the field of quantum chemistry at the Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Natural Sciences at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). The period is from 1/8-2018 until 31/07-2021.
About the Department
The main research areas of the Department are environmental and analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, applied theoretical chemistry and structural inorganic chemistry.
The chairs in applied theoretical chemistry are at present in quantum chemistry, molecular modelling, statistical thermodynamics, chemometrics and non-equilibrium thermodynamics.
The Department currently has an academic staff of 11 professors, 10 associate professors, 3 adjunct professors, about 7 postdoctoral researchers and 22 PhD students.
For more information about the department and our activities, see the web page http://www.ntnu.edu/chemistry.
Job description and qualifications
The successful applicant will have a special responsibility for teaching and research within quantum chemistry. The evaluation will be weighted towards documented qualifications in quantum chemistry with emphasis on application and implementation of electron-correlation methods.
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching the following courses:
- KJ1041 – Kjemisk binding, spektroskopi og kinetikk.
- TKJ4170 – Kvantekjemi.
- KJ8206 – Videregående kvantekjemiske metoder.
The course KJ1041 is given in a Scandinavian language and the others are given in English. The successful candidate must be fluent in Scandinavian and English both written and spoken.
Emphasis will be placed on the ability to supervise students and initiate research projects. The ability to co-supervise PhD projects in multi-level coupled cluster theory and superposition of non-orthogonal Slater determinants will be an advantage.
Emphasis will be placed on teaching and communication skills.The evaluation of the candidate will be based on documented pedagogical material, including pedagogical education/training, the presentation of academic work, experience from supervising master students and Ph.D. candidates, and teaching as well as other pedagogical matters.
The evaluation will consider both the quality and the scope. The candidate’s ability to initiate projects related to the research area is also important, including to acquire funding from external sources, including the EU and the private sector.
Academic staff who are employed without having a formal pedagogical qualification in university teaching and are unable to document equivalent qualifications, are required to successfully complete an internal course in university pedagogics within two years of taking the appointment.
The Associate Professor is to be jointly responsible for disciplinary matters together with other academic staff in the Department. The Associate Professor is required to participate in teaching activities in accordance with the relevant curriculum and assist in further developing the teaching program, including continuing education. The Professor is to supervise masters students, research fellows and doctoral candidates in his/her discipline. The Associate Professor must agree to participate in administrative work.
The Associate Professor is obliged to follow the regulations that concern changes and developments within the discipline and/or the organizational changes concerning activities at the University.
Terms of employment
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants.
At NTNU you will have various and challenging tasks in an international research and development environment.
The position as Associate Professor is remunerated according to the Norwegian State salary scale. There is a 2% deduction for superannuation contribution.
As a member of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund you are offered:
- A good pension for life
- A favorable housing loan interest
- Good insurance schemes
NTNU’s personnel policy objective is that the staff must reflect the composition of the population to the greatest possible extent.
Further details about the position can be obtained from the Head of the Department, Hallstein Hemmer, tel. + 47 73 55 96 48, firstname.lastname@example.org or professor Henrik Koch, tel. +47 73 59 41 65, email@example.com.
The application should contain:
- CV including list of publications with bibliographical references, and contact detailsfor three referees
- Testimonials and certificates
- The most relevant publications – published or unpublished – that has relevance to theevaluation of the applicant’s qualifications (maximum 10)
- A brief description of the scientific and technological relevance of the candidate’s research
- Research proposal (maximum 10 pages)
- A brief statement of teaching experience. Applicants are asked to describe their pedagogical qualifications in accordance with “Documentation of an appliccant’s pedagogical qualifications“, which can be found at: http://www.ntnu.edu/vacancies/pedagogical-qualifications
- Other documents which the applicant would like to present
- If relevant, a list of supervised projects with information on funding agency, years ofduration and the funds received.
The application and the description of academic works for evaluation must be submitted in English. The application should only be sent electronically through www.jobbnorge.no
The reference number of the position is NV-03/18.
Closing date is 28.01.2018.
About this job
- Deadline Sunday, January 28, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 146515
- Internal ID 18/1078
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!