Research Associate/Assistant Professor in Water Treatment
Center for Advanced Materials
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
The Center for Advanced Materials (CAM) provides a venue for faculty members and students in material science and engineering to interact with the industry and actively participate in various collaborative projects. CAM is attracting leading international researchers and scholars in the four essential sub-specialties of Materials Science and Engineering: processing/fabrication, structure, properties and applications. The Center continues to expand its research profile both nationally and internationally through the establishment of a variety of research programs. In order to facilitate this type of high profile research, its facilities are constantly upgraded with the installation of major new equipment having latest technology. With top-notch researchers and well-equipped laboratories, the Center offers high –level expertise to the local oil and gas and water treatment industries as well as the tertiary technical education sector in Qatar.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Center for Advanced Materials at Qatar University invites applications for a Research Faculty position at the professorial level commencing in Fall 2017.
The successful candidate should have an established research record in the area of desalination and water treatment especially reverse osmosis and membrane based water desalination. The successful candidate will be expected to provide leadership to advance research and provide technical support to water treatment industry in Qatar to solve their operational problems, RO pre-treatment and membrane degradation issues. He must be willing to and have demonstrated experience to help create and advance innovative ideas that cross disciplinary lines and impact education and research in desalination and water treatment. The candidate should have a Ph.D. in Engineering Science or a closely related discipline with 5-10 years of research and/or industrial experience. Preference will be given to candidates with an undergraduate degree in Engineering. The candidate should have a strong background in desalination and water treatment especially reverse osmosis and membrane based water desalination processes, pre-treatment and membrane degradation. The candidate should be able to establish and maintain an independent and competitively funded creative research program and liaison with industry. The CAM, Qatar University is seeking dynamic individuals with outstanding technical expertise and track records of scholarly accomplishments who, given the right opportunity and resources, have the ability and motivation to become leaders or further enhance their stature in their research fields.
- Develop research programs in water desalination, especially membrane based water desalination aligned with Qatar national Vision 2030.
- Developing strong multidisciplinary research projects;
- Developing networks between QU and academic sectors locally and internationally;
- Developing mutually beneficial collaborations with Qatari industry in order to develop partnerships in the area of water desalination
- Transferring knowledge to society through outreach,(e.g. collaborative research, seminars, workshops, lectures, websites and publications) and through technology transfer (e.g: collaborative research and commercialization of intellectual property) ;
- Developing strong linkages within appropriate academic departments, centers and units;
- Providing technical guidance / consultation to industry, academics, students and QU staff;
- Teaching courses related to discipline /industry for students;
- Supervising post-graduate students.
- Enhancing the reputation of Qatar University by undertaking quality research and communicating that research to the society;
- Excellent record of scholarly activities and research strengths in area of reverse osmosis desalination and water treatment
- Strong demonstrated problem-solving and resolution skills
- Excellent organizational ability and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a diverse, multicultural environment
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English
- Publish and disseminate research in reputable journals and international conferences
- Attract research funds and develop scholarly endeavors
- Advise undergraduate and graduate students and be involved effectively in consulting, service duties, committee work.
- Ph.D in Engineering science or related field with at least 5- 10 years of academic/research experience
- Proven record of industrial experience
- Demonstrated evidence of proven record of progressive and successful supervisory experience in research projects
- Current Curriculum Vitea.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.