Eligibility and closing date
- You are a national of a CERN Member State or Associate Member State (link is external) and studying in a Member State or Associate Member State.
- Students from Non-Member States are able to apply only if they have been residing in a Member State for the last 5 years and are currently studying in a Member State.
- You have started or are about to start a doctoral programme at a CERN Member State university.
- Your work envisaged at CERN is all or part of the thesis work required to obtain your PhD. Daily supervision of the student during the period at CERN will be the responsibility of a CERN staff member. The award of the degree remains the responsibility of the applicant's university. Hence in each case the academic arrangements will be discussed between the university thesis supervisor and the CERN supervisor.
- You have a good knowledge of English OR French.
Doctoral Studentships are for 6 months initially, and are normally renewable for a further 12 months. The total period (up to 36 months) may extend over a maximum duration of four consecutive years.
Disciplines: Applied physics, IT, mathematics, electrical, electronic, mechanical or civil engineering, instrumentation for accelerators and particle physics experiments, materials science, radiation protection, safety and environmental protection, science communication, surveying, ultra-high vacuum.
Students specialising in theoretical or experimental particle physics are NOT eligible to apply for this programme.