Associate Professor in Structural Engineering
About the Position
Structural engineering teaching and research has a well-established and proud pedigree at QUT. We want to further our expertise in structural steel, concrete and/or composite materials and in this regard, we seek to appoint a nationally / internationally regarded structural engineering researcher and teacher able to immediately contribute to, and further develop our impact and reputation in civil engineering education and research.
The successful applicant will join a sizeable team of established and early career academics and will contribute significantly to a desired expansion of high-quality impactful research; provide knowledgeable and collegial mentoring and coaching to emerging researchers and teachers; and contribute actively to teaching. Their leadership will be based on an excellent track record of high impact publications and research income, as well as strong ties with industry. They will also be able to exploit the investments in facilities made by QUT over the last decade through the Science and Engineering Faculty, the Science and Engineering Centre, and other on- and off-site test facilities. The successful applicant will actively engage with the further development of laboratory facilities through ARC LIEF and other such programs.
Candidates must show evidence of excellence in learning and teaching, including critical reflection of their own pedagogical approach and outcomes. Evidence of experience with successful implementation of authentic assessment, work integrated learning, and digital transformation of course content will be an advantage.
This position reports to the Head, School of Civil Engineering & Built Environment for supervision, workload management and for Performance Planning and Review (PPR).
Key responsibilities include:
- Fostering excellence in research within the university and university system.
- Enhancing and contributing to a vibrant and collaborative culture of research within the Civil Engineering discipline.
- Conducting research at an internationally competitive level, including:
- applying for and securing external research funding
- supervision of research students and research fellows
- pursuing high quality research outcomes, including publication of research in quality journals
- engaging with industry, external end-users of research and partner research organisations, and aligning research responses to the needs of industry and the wider community; and
- engaging and collaborating with other QUT researchers including within the School, the Faculty, the Institute for Future Environments and others where appropriate.
- Playing an active role in the maintenance of academic standards and in the development of educational policy and curriculum areas within the discipline.
- Providing advice and support to less senior academic staff.
- Implementing and administering University policy within the Faculty with respect to equitable access to education and workplace health and safety.
Type of appointment
This appointment will be offered on an ongoing full time basis.
Remuneration and Benefits
The classification for this position is Academic Level D (LEV D) which has an annual remuneration range of range of $137,638 to $151,645 pa plus 17% superannuation and 17.5% recreation leave loading.
Information for applicants
This position is open to Australian and International applicants. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply. QUT has an active support program for women in STEMM, and is in the pilot program for the national SAGE Athena SWAN project. For more information on QUT’s support for Women in STEMM, contact Tracy Straughan +61 7 3138 4080.
For further information about the position, please contact, Professor Stephen Kajewski, Head of School on +61 7 3138 2676 or email@example.com; or for further information about working at QUT contact Bridget Heins, Talent Acquisition Specialist on +61 7 3138 4571 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
For further information and to apply, please visit www.qut.edu.au/jobs for reference number 17638.
When applying for this position your application must include the following:
- A current resume
- A statement of achievements against each of the selection criteria
- Contact details for three referees.
Applications close 18 February 2018