Pro-Vice Chancellor (Academic & Research)
Pro-Vice Chancellor (Academic & Research)
The University of Kurdistan Hewlêr (UKH) seeks to employ an enthusiastic and qualified applicant to fill the position of Pro-Vice Chancellor (Academic & Research).
The post holder will be a key member of the University Executive Management Board (EMB) led by the Vice Chancellor; the University’s chief academic and administrative officer. The EMB will lead the strategic planning and management of the University.
DEPARTMENT: Office of the Vice Chancellor
JOB FAMILY: Academic
TYPE OF CONTRACT: FTE 1.0
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours/Week (Normally 08:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Sunday – Thursday)
PLACE OF WORK: University of Kurdistan Hewlêr
REPORTING TO: Vice Chancellor
APPOINTMENT DURATION: Three Years
PROBATION PERIOD: Twelve Months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application is open until the position is filled
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Pro-Vice Chancellor (Academic & Research), in consultation with the Vice Chancellor, will:
- Be a senior member of an appropriate academic department and be expected to make a teaching and/or research contribution to that department.
- Give academic leadership to inspire and inform the growth and development of the University and support the Vice Chancellor in driving the University towards the ideals and objectives contained in its mission statement.
- Be accountable towards a particular portfolio of responsibilities but will also contribute to the overall management of the University as assigned.
- Be responsible for the co-ordination of academic activities and its resource allocation within their portfolio and will oversee and co-ordinate the preparation of their annual budgets for consideration by the Vice Chancellor.
- Lead and co-ordinate longer-term strategic planning and budgeting for academic development; this will be undertaken on the basis of a two-year rolling plan.
- Be responsible to the Vice Chancellor for co-ordinating the development of long-term academic strategy and planning for research and development programmes and for ensuring high standards of delivery and effective and efficient use of resources.
- Develop links and collaborations with potential funders of research, including international research councils, business, industrial and commercial organisations, professional bodies and local and regional government agencies.
- Have managerial oversight of the introduction and development of Schemes of Study at Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels to ensure high standards of quality assurance, consistency with University mission and Regional Government expectations and efficient and effective use of resources for teaching and learning.
- Stimulate inter-disciplinary and collaborative academic activity with an emphasis on its potential contribution to the development of business, commerce and governance and social policy in the wider Kurdistan and region.
- Arrange for the selection of students for admission to the University.
- Play and active role in the University Executive Board, Academic Board, assisting the Vice Chancellor to achieve the goals of the University as defined in the Strategic Plan and contribute to University planning and to the foundation of policies and procedures.
- Promote the University as a place of international repute in which to study, research, work and encourage international collaboration and exchange.
- Pursue research activities and will have membership of a relevant academic department.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the nature of the post and as requested by the Vice Chancellor.
The Pro-Vice Chancellor (Academic & Research) should have the following attributes:
- Qualified (PhD) and experienced in one of the subject areas currently taught at UKH.
- Significant experience of working and teaching in higher education; no less than 20 years.
- An academic title of Professor. Assistant/Associate Professor titles might be considered with further assessment.
- Fluency in English language is compulsory. Ability to read, speak and write in Kurdish and Arabic languages will be an advantage.
- Experience of management in an institution of higher education at departmental, faculty, or institutional level.
- A good record of academic research.
- An ability to combine clear, firm management and a harmonious relationship with academic colleagues and students.
- Successful experience of committee chairmanship and supervising higher degree students.
- Ability to deal with sensitive information with discretion and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to manage a busy workload with a high level of leadership experience.
- Experience and ability of working in a multi-cultural environment.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal Statement to firstname.lastname@example.org by indicating the Vacancy Title: Pro-Vice Chancellor (Academic & Research) and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
- Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal Statement and CV will be considered.
- Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
- Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered.
- An Application Form is available at Current Vacancies on the University website (http://www.ukh.edu.krd).
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.