Environmental Compliance and Restoration Specialist
Description of Work Unit
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at CSU. CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DOD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
To learn more about CEMML’s contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/.
Environmental Restoration Specialist with the Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands, providing technical assistance and remediation technology evaluation support to Headquarters, Air Force Center for Engineering and the Environment (HQ AFCEE) Restoration Branch Environmental program. This position is located at San Antonio, Texas.
Required Job Qualifications
- Master of Engineering or Science in environmental engineering or related discipline emphasizing water treatment/remediation, subsurface containment fate-and-transport processes, or environmental geochemistry.
- Minimum of 5 years’ technical experience and appropriate training to facilitate proper execution of the duties identified in this position description.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to interact with a variety of environmental science and engineering professionals, and military personnel.
- Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license by the employment start date.
- The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the United States by proposed start date. CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- PhD in engineering or science preferred.
- Technical experience in environmental remediation science and engineering applications is desired, including field experience at site and groundwater contaminant plume scales in one or more of the following:
- Design, installation and optimization of remediation systems,
- Development, demonstration and validation of remediation technologies,
- Field-scale applications of high-resolution site characterization (HRSC) technologies and methods, and
- Characterization and modeling of fate-and-transport processes relevant to remediation systems and technologies.
- Experience with treatability studies and pilot-scale studies is relevant.
- Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Subject Matter Specialist Duty/Responsibility
Take part in HQ Air Force level working groups and inter-service work groups related to environmental remediation and restoration issues. Provide expert technical opinion to support environmental programs and site remediation for federal, states, and local agencies throughout the U.S. to include technical oversight, technology evaluation and review of remediation design and performance. Position may require official travel authorized by HQ AFCEC Restoration Branch.
Percentage Of Time 70% Job Duty Category Data Analysis Duty/Responsibility
Maintain databases for specific project tracking. Assist with analysis and review of engineering related costs, program cost tracking, trend analysis and budget planning and programming, and perform quality assurance/quality control of field activities to ensure data collected are legally and technically defensible.
Complete technical review of performance data to determine success of technology.
Percentage Of Time 15% Job Duty Category Technology Transfer Duty/Responsibility
Develop technical publications and presentations related to remediaton system optimization and strategy. Give presentations and develop web-based materials such as fact sheets and guidance documents.
Percentage Of Time 15%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply no later than December 31, 2017 for full consideration. Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birthdates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
- Statement of Qualifications (one-page letter addressing each qualification described in announcement) uploaded in the ‘Cover Letter’ slot.
- Transcripts (for each degree earned that is listed under qualifications) uploaded in the ‘Official Transcripts’ or ‘Unofficial Transcripts’ slot.
- Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded) uploaded in the ‘Other’ slot.
- Please upload any license or certifications you have obtained which pertain to this position in the optional ‘Licenses/Certifications’ slot
- References – please include within your application contact information for 3 professional references including at least one supervisor. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License, Special Requirements/Other - • Candidate must be able to comply with all applicable regulations to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC). Furthermore, candidates are required at a minimum to complete a NACI/SF85 and successfully pass a federal background check to remain eligible for empl
Search Contact Sabrina Broderick, WCNR_HR@mail.colostate.edu
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.