Associate Director of Entrepreneurial Advancement/Business Development; Translational Medicine
The Translational Medicine Institute (TMI) is operated under the Department of Clinical Sciences (College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences) at Colorado State University (CSU). The Institute provides a safe, secure, state of the art facility for university investigators, government scientists and industry representatives to collaboratively research translational medicine with a primary focus on biologics such as stem cells, and innovative medical device research and commercialization aligned to the institute’s mission and vision. The TMI program is a new program that will be housed in a 130,000 square foot building (“C Wayne McIlwraith Translational Medicine Institute”), which should be completed December 2018. This facility will have extensive capabilities to engage in experimental surgical procedures, minimally invasive surgical teaching hands on learning, didactic lectures up to 300 people, as well as complete wet laboratory facilities including cGMP space, food service, and administrative space for entrepreneurial development.
TMI Vision – Innovate medical discovery paradigms and solutions leveraging nature’s healing capacity.
Our Mission – Create novel biologic therapies and learning opportunities uniquely focused on improving the lives of both animals and humans by fostering diverse collaborations of leading scientific minds in a state of the art facility that encourages entrepreneurial models that optimize innovation timelines.
The Associate Director of Business Development; Translational Medicine Institute (TMI) will report to the Director of the TMI. The position will:
- Lead the business development initiatives of the TMI, building and executing strategies designed to grow the translational and entrepreneurial mission of the TMI.
- Develop a strategic plan, as well as a business plan for the long-term success and impact of the TMI. Strategic elements of these plans should include a product commercialization program and roadmap for TMI industry partners and TMI members/faculty, in conjunction with CSU Ventures and the Office of the Vice President for Research, as well as financial projections for the institute.
- Facilitate negotiations for the TMI with industry partners in various stages of innovation development to optimize for the University: sponsored research, protection of intellectual property, opportunities for technology licenses, and startup company formation and mentorship.
- Assist TMI Faculty to promote innovation and technology transfer, assisting with identification of product and services commercialization opportunities for the TMI and CSU, and help drive philanthropic giving.
- Facilitate innovative new industry partnerships for the TMI with national and global surgical, analytical testing, and educational equipment producers to evaluate and educate others on new device and system innovations in a living lab setting.
- Interface with several CSU internal and external organizations in coordinating communication, publications and marketing materials that are part of fund raising campaigns and/or solicitation of new clients for the TMI.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Financial Management or a technical field aligned to the goals of the TMI
- Biomedical, biotechnology, or animal health industry experience related to product discovery, development and/or commercialization.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and implementation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate a compelling and inspired vision and sense of core purpose to all stakeholders – optimistic and metric-driven.
- Possess a high level of integrity, business acumen, emotional intelligence, ethics, self-awareness, resourcefulness, and ability to work well across all CSU departments, organizations and levels.
- Demonstrated success with relationship building and management, collaboration, influence, goal and project management, political savvy, business savvy, change management, and culture building.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Business, Financial Management or a technical field aligned to the goals of the TMI with demonstrated knowledge of cost accounting standards, and start-up organization dynamics and requirements.
- Biomedical/Biotechnology experience that includes knowledge of the operation and management of enterprises funded via various sources (e.g. SBIR, angel or venture capital, foundations and corporate partners).
- Working knowledge of start-up based financial management requirements.
- The ability to attract industry partners to the TMI and other CSU entities is desirable.
- Experience with state-funded, university systems/academic institutions and the rules, policies, and regulations governing them.
- Experience negotiating intellectual property and licensing agreements, as well as industry collaborative partnership agreements is desirable.
- Interpersonal/Leadership Profile includes: Assess risk well, ability to assimilate information from various environments such as academic and medical industries, thinks outside the box, energetic and has good team/consensus building skills.
Personal or professional commitment to diversity as demonstrated by persistent effort, active planning, allocation of resources and/or accountability for diversity outcomes.
Job Duty Category Management & Operational Duties Duty/Responsibility
- Responsible for developing and implementing a business development strategy, fostering and executing strategic partnerships and contract management for the TMI. It is expected this will be done with the input of the TMI Director and TMI Steering Committee, which is comprised of leadership from the functional units or Member of the TMI.
- Act as the external interface to groups such as CSU Ventures, CSU Research Foundation and other partner organizations, such as the Research Innovation Center and BioMARC production facility, within and outside CSU.
- Responsible for preparing annual pro forma business plans for the TMI as well as prospective TMI clients/partners to the Entrepreneurial Board.
- Responsible for managing marketing materials and market introduction to external audiences for the TMI.
- Work with the Office of Sponsored Programs to develop target audiences and marketing materials to be used in these discussions and settings.
Percentage Of Time 70 Job Duty Category Entrepreneurial Advancement and Business Development Training/Education Duty/Responsibility
- Provide oversight and guidance on developing the entrepreneurial advancement and commercialization for the TMI clients as well as faculty of the TMI. This could additionally take the form of developing and/or content delivered in a formal didactic setting.
- Assist units/members of the TMI in business development of their individual areas of expertise or Units.
Percentage Of Time 30 Application Details
Special Instructions to Applicants
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter that addresses the minimum and preferred qualifications, a curriculum vitae or resume, and the names of three references along with their contact information. Reference letters will be requested of semifinalist candidates as part of the application process. Applications must be received by 11:59 pm (MT) January 23, 2018, to receive full consideration.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires) Search Contact Lynsey Bosch, email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Minimum Requested 3 Maximum Requested 3 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Financial Management or a technical field aligned to the goals of the TMI?
- * Can you clearly demonstrate biomedical, biotechnology, or animal health industry experience related to product discovery, development and/or commercialization.
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume or CV