Lecturer, Clinical Communication and Academic Support
Job No.: 571131
Location: School of Clinical Sciences, Monash Medical Centre & affiliated placement sites
Employment Type: Part-time, fraction (0.6)
Remuneration: Pro-rata of $95,297 - $113,166 pa Level B (plus 17% employer superannuation)
- Be inspired, every day
- Drive your own learning at one of the world’s top 80 universities
- Take your career in exciting, rewarding directions
Everyone needs a platform to launch a satisfying career. At Monash, we give you the space and support to take your career in all kinds of exciting new directions. You’ll have access to quality research, infrastructure and learning facilities, opportunities to collaborate internationally, as well as the grants you’ll need to publish your work. We’re a university full of energetic and enthusiastic minds, driven to challenge what’s expected, expand what we know, and learn from other inspiring, empowering thinkers.
The Student Academic Support Unit (SASU) of the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences sits within the portfolio of the Deputy Dean, Education.
SASU provides clinical and academic communication programs specific to the health professions disciplines. Particular emphasis is placed on the needs of international and culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) students. A key feature of the SASU program is the on-site delivery of specialised teaching at clinical and other placement sites.
The Unit provides teaching programs for students in undergraduate and graduate-entry professional courses in medicine, nursing, health sciences, allied health, and social work, including students based at clinical metropolitan sites. SASU lecturers have backgrounds in linguistics and applied linguistics, English as a second language, education and medicine.
The Student Academic Support Unit is looking to appoint a Lecturer B academic to join the SASU teaching program for medical students based in the School of Clinical Sciences at Monash Health. The role is based at Monash Medical Centre, with travel to associated placement sites. The role involves working closely with the existing SASU team on program design and delivery of clinical communication and academic support programs.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development of original course materials and the provision of lectures, tutorials and individual learning plans on clinical communication skills, oral and written language development and other aspects of student learning within the clinical context.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- qualifications and/or experience recognised by the university as appropriate for the relevant discipline area
- an ability to stimulate, actively engage and educate a given audience including the ability to build rapport with students and sensitivity to needs of different groups, particularly international and CALD students
- Possess a high level of interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team across both the education and service sectors
- high level of proficiency in the English language, with expertise in the area of language use in different disciplinary contexts and in the rhetorical requirements of academic genres
If this sounds like a position that suits your current career focus we look forward to your application.
This role is a part-time position; however, flexible working arrangements may be negotiated.
At Monash University, we are committed to being a Child Safe organisation. Some positions at the University will require the incumbent to hold a valid Working with Children Check.
Your application must address the selection criteria. Please refer to "How to apply for Monash jobs"
Dr Sheila Vance, Senior Lecturer, +61 3 9905 4027
Wednesday 31 January 2018, 11.55pm AEDT