Library - Cataloging
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs a wide variety of technical work related to the Cataloging Unit, including copy and original cataloging, authority control, cataloging projects, etc.
- Performs copy and original cataloging for various library materials in a variety of languages and formats by applying latest rules of descriptive cataloging and classification, and in compliance with local guidelines, policies and practices.
- Performs name, series, and subject authority work, and creates new or revises existing name authority records as needed.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends in cataloging rules and standards, such as RDA, Library of Congress Subject Headings, Library of Congress Classification, and MARC21.
- Assists or leads technical and other special projects as assigned.
- Reports complex cataloging problems and questions to the Head of the Cataloging Unit
- Provides assistance to other catalogers in resolving difficult cataloging problems.
- Supervises temporary workers in the Cataloging Unit.
- Provides training to student assistants.
- Assumes daily management duties and responsibilities in the absence of the Unit Head.
- Attends professional development classes, conferences, meetings and trainings.
- Maintains confidentiality of information at all times.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor in Library and Information Science required.
- Knowledge of current standards and practices in the areas of cataloging including AACR2R and RDA, LC Subject Headings, LC classification, MARC formats, and OCLC applications and related standards.
- Experience with bibliographic and automated library systems such as INNOPAC/MILLENNIUM in an academic library environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of overall technical services operations.
- Proficiency in English and Arabic (both written and verbal) is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively in both a team setting and independently and a strong service orientation.
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.