Senior Acquisitions Librarian
Library - Acquisition & Collection Development
Qatar University profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
QU Library has undergone several important changes in the last two decades. It has recently completed its relocation to its brand-new five story building equipped with state-of the art technology and eco-friendly study and lounge areas. QUL is considered the hub of interaction for students and faculty members in its provision of a diverse collection of print and electronic books and journals, e-resources and reference materials. The library’s vision is to partner with the Qatar University community to provide appropriate, high quality library collections, physical and technological facilities, and research and information services in order to support Qatar University’s curriculum, educational and research needs. It is also an important resource for the Qatari community for reference on a wide range of topics that address all sectors.
Duties & Responsibilities
Nature and Scope of Position:
- Provides leadership for the formulation of policies and procedures related to ordering and receiving of materials for Qatar University Library, ensuring that they follow audit requirements and maximize productivity.
- Manages and expends acquisitions budget and produces financial reports from the ILS that clearly track monies allocated, encumbered and expended for different types of collections and subject areas.
- Performs all acquisition functions of the library, including ordering, receiving, and processing invoices for monographs, serials, and electronic resources.
- Suggests and monitors library materials’ budget, and recommends priorities for the distribution of funds.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with publishers, vendors, and researches. Assesses products, offers, and services. Negotiates license agreements and costs in order to obtain the best possible terms and conditions.
- Performs Collection Development activities as needed.
- Gathers, maintains, and analyses acquisition, collection, and usage statistics as part of the on-going assessment of collections in all formats.
- Keeps up-to-date with developments in publishing and scholarly communication and is able to articulate them to the university community
- Directly supervises monographic acquisition operations and trains support staff in new procedures and enhancements to the library’s automated system
- Designs efficient, effective workflows, documenting them in procedures
- Serves on committees to determine standardized policies and procedures.
- Remains knowledgeable of current trends in acquisitions, collections and electronic resource management. Seeks opportunities to introduce new methods and technologies to improve service.
- Performs professional duties assigned.
Experience and Education:
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent.
- At least two years of academic library technical services experience.
- Experience using the technical services functions of a major integrated library system.
- Experience with budgeting in an academic library setting.
- Experience working with library material vendors.
- Working knowledge of cataloging practice and standards,including MARC records management.
- Knowledge and understanding of best practices,standards,issues and trends relating to information access,acquisitions, and collection development in an academic library.
- Commitment to professional growth and development.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Arabic and English,both orally and in writing.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree). 6. Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.