Melbourne Institute: Applied Economic and Social Research
Faculty of Business and Economics
Salary: $88,171 - $95,444 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The Melbourne Institute is Australia’s pre-eminent economic and social policy research institution. It undertakes high quality, independent and impartial applied research, and contributes to the development of public policy in Australia. The Institute provides high calibre research to government, business and community groups. The Communications Officer is a member of the engagement team within the Melbourne Institute: Applied Economic and Social Research Team which sits within the Faculty of Business and Economics portfolio.
About the role
This role is dynamic and exciting new role which requires a high-level communication skills to effectively deal with a range of people, including international visitors and senior people in professions, business and government, to determine their requirements and act accordingly.
To be successful in the role you will work with a high degree of independence and must be capable of prioritising workloads to complete all tasks efficiently, accurately and within the timelines arranged as well as successfully managing upwards. This requires a flexible team approach when organising events and managing communications to ensure effective operation
In consultation with the Director, Business Manager, Director of Marketing and Communications in the Faculty of Business and Economics the Communications Officers will develop and implement innovative media/publication strategies for internal and external audiences for the Institute
- Demonstrated experience and skills in developing and implementing effective communication/publication strategies to reach diverse audiences
- Proven ability to use a range of communication channels, especially utilising digital media and technologies, to engage customers and stakeholders in innovative and challenging initiatives
- High level problem solving skills with the ability to exercise judgment and initiative in an ambiguous environment
- Highly developed interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to liaise and work effectively with a range of people across all levels of the organisation
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative and flexibility, with a willingness to take on new challenges
- High level organisational and time management skills, including the ability to prioritise workloads in order to ensure efficient delivery of tasks
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Maximise your benefits through our Salary Packaging scheme
- Flexible family friendly policies, providing generous leave and working conditions
- The opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
- A substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at the University of Melbourne
To find out more, go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/working/benefits
The University is a vibrant campus. We have well established clubs and networks giving the opportunity to engage and collaborate with other staff around the University. We strive to create an environment where staff and students promote culturally inclusive behaviour and activities, ensure cultural differences are heard and explored, and actively seek to learn from other cultures.
† The University of Melbourne is the Number 1 University in Australia and among the leading Universities in the world, according to The Times Higher Education world reputational ranking, the National Taiwan University ranking, The Times Higher Education world university ranking and Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Close date: 14 Jan 2018
Position Description & Selection Criteria
*For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria/competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/search/info/selection-criteria