Applied Physicist in the Experimental Physics Department (EP), ATLAS Trigger and Data Acquisition Group (ADT), Trigger Section (TR).
You will join the:
- Experimental Physics Department (EP), which carries out basic research in the field of experimental physics. It aims to provide a stimulating scientific atmosphere and remains an important reference centre for the European physics community. It contributes to the education and training of young scientists.
- ATLAS Trigger and Data Acquisition Group (ADT), which has major responsibilities in the ATLAS trigger and data acquisition system. Its activities span every aspect from development and operation of custom trigger hardware to high-level physics selection algorithms via data conveyance and control infrastructures.
- Trigger (TR) Section which is in charge of the first-level central trigger system based on custom digital electronics and plays an important role in the high-level trigger area, particularly in the core software and algorithms integration on a very large farm of commercial processors. This position is specifically in the high-level trigger area.
As an Applied Physicist in the EP-ADT-TR Section, you will contribute to CERN's responsibilities on the ATLAS Trigger Activity and the Trigger/DAQ System.
You will be expected to work on a wide range of high-level trigger (HLT) topics, including:
- Collecting requirements from physics and technical points of view.
- Development and maintenance of core software to support the HLT algorithms.
- Integration of HLT algorithms in the software framework.
- Testing, commissioning, operation and maintenance of the system.
- Contributing to studies for improvements and upgrades.
Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the field of PhD in physics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive experience in trigger systems for a large High-Energy Physics experiment, including: understanding requirements from a physics and technical perspective; and designing, developing, testing, commissioning, operating and maintaining trigger systems.
- Proven experience in object-oriented C++ and Python programming in a large, collaborative software project.
- Demonstrating one or more of the following experiences would be an advantage:
- Multi-threaded programming;
- Using relational databases and writing interface software.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Experimental data reduction and triggering.
- Programming/software development.
- Requirements definition and management.
- Systems design.
- Systems integration.
- Knowledge of basic software-design principles.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Managing self: remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Solving problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely.
- Working in the interest of the Organization: giving personal best in all activities.
The language competencies required for this post are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and to make oral presentations.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 18.01.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.