Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor in Optical Microscopy
Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis (CMCA)
- Join a world-class collaborative research facility in this leadership position
- Level C or level D ($118,957 - $157,443) plus 17% superannuation
- Tenurable appointment
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to 'innovate and inspire' there is no better time to join Western Australia's top University.
About the opportunity
In this role, you will:
- Take day-to-day responsibility for leading all academic aspects of optical microscopy at CMCA, UWA's core science infrastructure multi-user facility
- Undertake academic research, including seeking project funding and supervising research students
- Directly supervise a junior academic and a research officer
- Closely liaise with the Centre’s technical support staff and assume overall responsibility for user support and training
- On a small scale, you may engage in teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate students within school
You will be a high-calibre individual able to lead research programs as well as the application of advanced optical microscopy techniques. You will possess an outstanding research record relative to opportunity, a strong work ethic, a practical approach and a passion for delivering the highest quality research.
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description.
Benefits and Conditions of Employment:
- Tenurable position
- Employer contribution to superannuation is 17% of salary
- Recreation leave of 20 working days per annum
- Long Service Leave after 10 years
- Eligibility for sabbatical leave
- Relocation assistance including airfares, relocation allowance and short-term accommodation (if applicable)
About the CMCA
The CMCA is the Western Australian node of the Australian Microscopy & Microanalysis Research Facility, and of the National Imaging Facility, which are Australian university-based national networks of characterisation core facilities.
Primarily located within the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research at the QEII Medical Centre, Nedlands, the CMCA@Perkins location hosts the recently launched Nikon Centre of Excellence in Optical Microscopy and includes a wide range of wide-field, fluorescence, confocal, multiphoton and the newly installed FCS/FRET/FLIM, SIM and STORM super-resolution microscopy platforms (alongside cytometry, and small animal imaging facilities). CMCA@Perkins is situated in a medical research precinct, and provides access to all Western Australian, Australian and international researchers.
The University of Western Australia occupies a picturesque setting by the Swan River five minutes from downtown Perth and ten minutes from Perth's famous beaches. Perth is located on Australia's west coast and enjoys a Mediterranean climate with hot dry summers and short mild winters and is renowned for its relaxed outdoor lifestyle.
Closing date: 12 February 2018
This position is open to international applicants who require visa sponsorship.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.