Senior Lecturer in Chemistry
Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis (CMCA) and School of Molecular Sciences (joint appointment)
- Level C or level D ($118,957 - $157,443) plus 17% superannuation
- Tenurable appointment
- Opportunity to establish a NMR spectroscopy research program and lead the NMR facility operations at UWA
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to 'innovate and inspire' there is no better time to join Western Australia's top University.
About the opportunity
In this role, you will establish an independent research program in the broad area of NMR spectroscopy and lead the operation of the CMCA's NMR core facility at UWA. You will also provide leadership and expertise to academic staff and research students in all areas of NMR spectroscopy, including spectrometer operation, data acquisition and analysis. You will be assisted by a Senior Research Officer involved in the day-to-day operation of the facility. You will also engage in the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching activities in the School, with teaching load balanced against the duties associated with leadership of the NMR facility.
You will possess a strong work ethic, a practical approach and you will be passionate about delivering the highest quality research and teaching outcomes. To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- A PhD in chemistry or allied science;
- A significant level of technical knowledge and experience in NMR spectroscopy including its applications in Chemistry, Structural Biology and/or Metabolomics
- An ability to lead an independent, externally funded research program, and willingness to participate in collaborative research
- An ability and willingness to direct and maintain a multi-user NMR facility
- An ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment; and
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description.
Benefits and Conditions of Employment:
- Start-up grant negotiable
- Tenurable position
- Employer contribution to superannuation is 17% of salary
- Recreation leave of 20 working days per annum
- Long Service Leave after 10 years
- Eligibility for sabbatical leave
- Relocation assistance including airfares, relocation allowance and short-term accommodation (if applicable)
About the CMCA
The CMCA is the Western Australian node of the Australian Microscopy & Microanalysis Research Facility, of the National Imaging Facility, and part node of Metabolomics Australia, national infrastructure networks of Australian university-based characterisation facilities providing premium analytical capabilities and high-end research support to local, national and international scientists (www.ammrf.org.au and www.anif.org.au).
The CMCA hosts a diverse range of analytical capabilities and characterisation techniques, from mass spectrometry and flow cytometry, to confocal microscopy and preclinical imaging (including MRI), to ion probe, SEM, and TEM platforms. The CMCA's Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) facilities currently supporting chemistry and structural biology comprise: a 600MHz spectrometer upgraded to a Bruker Avance III HD system in December 2014; a Bruker Avance III HD 500MHz spectrometer installed in early 2015; a Varian/Agilent 400MHz spectrometer equipped with solid state capabilities. Plans are underway to expand the facility with a second 600 MHz spectrometer supporting metabolomics.
About the School of Molecular Sciences
The School of Molecular Sciences is a comprehensive research-intensive school that spans the broad disciplines of chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, and genetics, and is responsible for the BSc majors that fit within its broad discipline base. The iconic Bayliss Building on the Crawley campus houses the School’s numerous research groups, as well as the CMCA's X-ray diffraction, mass spectrometry and NMR spectroscopy facilities.
The University of Western Australia occupies a picturesque setting by the Swan River five minutes from downtown Perth and ten minutes from Perth's famous beaches. Perth is located on Australia's west coast and enjoys a Mediterranean climate with hot dry summers and short mild winters and is renowned for its relaxed outdoor lifestyle.
Closing date: 12 February 2018
This position is open to international applicants who require visa sponsorship.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.