Research Fellow (Economics)
Research Fellow (Economics)
Department: Institute of Public Policy and Administration (IPPA)
Duty station: Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
Duration: 12 months contract (renewable)
Deadline: 25 January 2018
The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000 as a private, not for profit, secular university through an International Treaty signed by the Presidents of the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan; ratified by their respective parliaments, and registered with the United Nations. The Presidents are the Patrons of the University and His Highness is the Chancellor. UCA’s mission is to promote the social and economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain communities, by offering an internationally recognised standard of higher education, and enabling the peoples of the region to preserve their rich cultural heritage as assets for the future. UCA brings with it the commitment and partnership of the broader Aga Khan Development Network.
For more information: www.ucentralasia.org
Summary of Position
The Institute of Public Policy and Administration (IPPA) is part of the Graduate School of Development at UCA. IPPA was established in 2011 to promote systematic and in-depth research on issues related to the socio-economic development of Central Asia, and to explore policy alternatives. IPPA is implementing many research and training projects related to economic and social development of the economies of greater Central Asia (including Afghanistan) focusing on economic policy issues. The projects are interdisciplinary and require combination of quantitative and qualitative research methods. The Research Fellow will report to the Associate Director of IPPA.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Conduct independent academic and applied research to implement IPPA research projects; • Contribute to training and teaching activities of IPPA through curriculum development and teaching at programmes aimed at civil servants and professionals; • Be part of the IPPA research and teaching team and collaborate closely with colleagues; • Present research results at international and national conferences and publish the results in academic journals, books, working papers and other professional publications; • Support research team in stakeholder (e.g. government, international organisations, academic and expert community) engagement activities; • Ensure timely completion of all deliverables, progress reporting, budgeting for the projects. • There may be an opportunity to teach introductory economics courses in UCA’s School of Arts and Sciences undergraduate programme at the Naryn campus, Kyrgyz Republic.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- PhD or MA in Economics or another relevant field;
- Experience in research and policy analysis within an international organisation, policy centre or academic institution;
- Record of publications or analytical papers;
- Expertise in and/or familiarity with issues related to economic and social policy;
- Strong quantitative skills (statistics, econometrics);
- Strong communication and representation skills;
- Fluency in English.
- Knowledge of and experience in the greater Central Asia region (including Afghanistan);
- Qualitative research skills;
- Fluency in Russian and/or a Central Asian language.
The Tekeli campus in Kazakhstan is expected to start classes in 2021.
How to Apply To apply please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to email@example.com by 25 January 2017. As your application email subject, please write: “Research Fellow, IPPA”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: http://www.ucentralasia.org/About/CurrentVacancies