Computing Engineer in the Experimental Physics Department (EP), CMS Experiment Group (CMG), CMS Computing and Operations Section (CO).
CMS is one of the largest Physics experiment of CERN's flagship project, the Large Hadron Collider. The experimental site hosting the CMS detector is located on the CERN site of Point 5, Cessy (France). The EP Department is recruiting for a Computing Engineer to contribute to the design and maintenance of the Software and computing needed by the CMS collaboration to manage its operation and communicate with the CMS users' community.
As Computing Engineer, you will be assigned to the Physics Department (EP), CMS Experiment Group (EP-CMG), Computing and Operations Section (EP-CMG-CO) which is, amongst other topics, in charge of designing software tools and components to help the management of the CMS collaboration and providing support for their maintenance & operation.
- Take a leading role in the planning and design of the web based software tools and infrastructure used by the CMS management, secretariat and general members of the collaboration to ensure the most efficient working of the collaboration.
- Contribute to the implementation and validation of the software tools needed, and document the necessary procedures as needed.
- Lead the transition from the existing, Java/JSP based, to the newly developed, Python/Flask-based, system ensuring a smooth transition for the users.
- Provide support for the users of the system to ensure problems are fixed as soon as possible and new features are provided as resources allow.
- Contribute to the improvement of the documentation, by acquiring a direct knowledge of the old and new CMS management software suite.
- Contribute to the day-to-day management of the servers running the services for the collaboration at systems administration level, as well as dedicated servers used by physicists in the EP-CMG Group for their work.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Master's degree in software/computing or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the design, implementation and testing of complex software systems.
- Demonstrated experience in the usage of modern web tools and software development infrastructure and tools (git, gitlab, JIRA).
- Demonstrated experience in PostgreSQL and MySQL database development and administration.
- Extensive experience in modern programming languages and tools: Python, Flask, SQLAlchemy, Angular, Java, JSP, jQuery.
- Experience in Linux (RedHat, CentOS) system administration tools (Puppet, Ansible).
- Experience in providing direct support to end users would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Solution architecture.
- Design and selection of methods & tools.
- Requirements definition and management.
- Database administration.
- Programming/Software development.
- Continuity management.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Demonstrating flexibility: actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: Ability to draw-up technical documentation and to make oral presentations.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 16.01.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.