Deputy Dean Research
Make a real impact! Enjoy state-of-the-art facilities and quality collaboration with global leaders in research, education and innovation.
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
We aspire to be Australia’s global university, improving and transforming lives through excellence in research, outstanding education and a commitment to advancing a just society.
The Faculty of Engineering at UNSW is a national and international leader in engineering research and education. It is the largest Engineering Faculty in Australia, graduating the largest number of engineers and with the largest research expenditure.
The Faculty comprises 9 Schools. In 2017 total student enrolment was almost 15,500, including Australia’s largest number of international students studying Engineering.
The Faculty has approximately 700 staff, with 60% holding academic positions, and a budget of approximately $237million. External research income to the Faculty was $55million in 2016, of which $22 million came from outside national competitive grant schemes; the highest in Australia university sector by both metrics.
We are responsive to the needs of industry, adaptive to change and take an innovative approach to teaching and learning.
About the Role:
The Deputy Dean (Research) is a senior leadership role in UNSW Engineering and supports the Dean in the development and implementation of the Faculty’s research strategy.
The Deputy Dean (Research) guides a team including the Associate Dean (Industry and Innovation), Associate Dean (Research and Training) and the Faculty Research Manager. The role works closely with Heads of School and leading Faculty researchers to support them in achieving Faculty research goals.
The Dean is accountable for the strategic direction and overall performance of research, the student education experience and community engagement in the Faculty of Engineering, The Dean reports to the Vice-Chancellor. The Faculty’s Heads of School, Deputy and Associate Deans and Faculty Executive Director report to the Dean. The Deputy Dean (Research) is a member of the Faculty Executive and the Dean’s Executive Management Committee.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Providing strategic advice to the Dean on research priorities, and strategies and mechanisms to achieve these priorities within the Faculty.
- Proactively planning for, and responding to, changes in the UNSW, Australian and international policy environment that affect research.
- Identifying and embracing opportunities in the external environment that will assist in achievement of the strategic objectives of Faculty research.
- Promoting the Faculty's research capability and research profile, both locally and internationally, to position the University as research destination in Engineering for the leading researchers, collaborators and higher degree research students.
- Working with the Senior Deputy Dean to enhance the research staffing profile of the Faculty by implementing Faculty strategies to increase the number and quality of research-intensive staff in areas of identified research strength and areas of strategic importance to UNSW Engineering.
- Identify and develop new industry partnerships and enhance existing industry partnerships with UNSW Engineering.
- You are a passionate, engaging and energetic leader who will command respect from senior faculty stakeholders.
- With a strong track record in research and demonstrated capacity for research leadership at a senior level.
- Proven superior relationship building skills, including success in cultivating and influencing key relationships with industry and university researchers and managers, you will thrive in this highly visible role within the Engineering faculty.
Talent Acquisition Consultant
Closing date: 11/02/2018