OFFICE OF THE VICE-PRESIDENT (ADMINISTRATION),
The USP seeks to distinguish itself in commercialisation and entrepreneurship. To accomplish this vision, the University wishes to appoint an enterprising, energetic and experienced Director Commercial. The incumbent will be charged with accelerating and strengthening the University’s commercial initiatives and to achieve greater diversity in commercial income. This is a senior position that reports to the Vice President (Administration).
In its vision to become an entrepreneurial University, The USP also seeks expand its regional commercial activities and to broaden its income-generating portfolio. This portfolio consists of: USP Book Centre, Computer Store, Halls of Residences, USP Residences and Lodges, Community Recreation Centre and Gyms. These activities currently have annual revenues of over FJ$20million.
The incumbent will be expected to: Identify and turn innovative product or service ideas, including entrepreneurial opportunities, into viable businesses throughout the region; enhance further commercial activities and efficiently manage the commercial portfolio; increase commercial income for The USP; develop and manage public-private partnerships; develop and present business plans and reports; contribute to the development and implementation of the Commercial Plan; and manage budgets and operations related to the portfolio.
The successful appointee will:
- Bring first-hand experience of entrepreneurship and converting ideas into new products and services.
- Bring strong managerial and leadership skills with the ability to think strategically and also provide tactical leadership towards identified goals.
- Bring a good understanding of both academia and industry, and a passion for and proven ability to connect these to foster innovation, commercialisation and economic value.
- Bring a proven ability to secure funding including public-private partnerships.
- Demonstrate and promote best practice in running of existing and new businesses.
- Develop, implement and control budgets.
- Participate in fund raising efforts.
- Support associated branding and marketing efforts.
The Person We Seek
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- Strong business acumen with at least 10 years demonstrated experience in running similar scale businesses, and successfully turning new ideas for products or services into viable businesses;
- A postgraduate degree in Business, Marketing, Finance or related discipline OR an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training;
- Experience in writing commercial business plans ;
- Experience in commercial budget preparations and presentation;
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is essential.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Demonstrated experience in both academic and industry environments with at least 5 years retail/commercial management experience
- A proven record of innovation/entrepreneurship
- A proven record of developing public-private partnerships full cycle from concept to implementation
The position is available for a term of 3 years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Salary Range: Level5 FJ$106,423 to FJ$130,373 per annum (Inclusive of 15% Gratuity)
The University may pay an inducement allowance to secure the services of an exceptionally well qualified candidate.The University provides benefits that include:
- Subsidised Health insurance
- Contributions of 10% of basic salary to an approved superannuation scheme
- 25 days of annual leave
- Airfare and relocation costs where appropriate,in accordance with Policy
- Educational opportunities for the appointee’s family to study at The University of the South Pacific at a substantial discount.
Enquiries: Jayhotika Ram, Manager Talent Acquisition & Management; tel.: (679) 32 31378; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 11thFebruary 2018
How to Apply
Candidates may use the University’s online E-Recruitment system to view full details and apply for this position at https://www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj Manual and emailed applications are no longer accepted. Candidates may request further information from the Human Resources Office; tel.: (679) 32 32072; email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also include the following documents in your application: Cover letter and Resume clearly addressing key Selection Criteria, academic transcript and names of three referees, one of which must be your current or most recent direct work supervisor.