Mechanical Technician in the Technology Department (TE), Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats Group (TE-MSC), Superconducting Magnet Design and Technology Section (TE-MSC-MDT).
The post is opened in the Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (TE-MSC) Group which is responsible for the:
- Design, construction and measurement of superconducting and normal conducting magnets for the CERN accelerator complex.
- Integration into the CERN accelerator complex, magnet cryostats and magnet quality control.
- Support for the operation of accelerators for magnets, magnet performance, devices (current leads).
- Development of associated technologies, namely superconductors, insulation and polymers, superconducting electrical devices and magnetic measurements for present and future accelerators.
As an experienced mechanical technician, you will take responsibility for the operation, maintenance and upgrade of the mechanical workshop in the magnet laboratory that is responsible for the development of new types of superconducting magnets and you will be inolved in the manufacture of challenging mechanical parts.
- Be the workshop reference person on CNC machine programming.
- Receive requests for work from colleagues in the Section and in the Group (the Clients) and plan the work in the workshop.
- Fabricate special challenging parts on CNC and conventional milling and turning machines.
- Formulate machining sequences for the manufacture of standard and challenging parts.
- Sub-contract part manufacturing to the CERN central workshop and specialized firms, as appropriate.
- Write documentation and execute QC on the machined parts.
- Lead a small team of mechanical craftspersons to fabricate precise and challenging parts designed for magnets.
Higher technical diploma from a technical school, or equivalent. A specialization in machining would be an asset.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive proven experience in machining and turning with state of the art CNC machines and conventional machines.
- Experience with advanced programming of CNC machines.
- Experience with leading a team in a small mechanical workshop.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Turning, milling, erosion, grinding: of standard and challenging pieces.
- Definition of manufacturing method, process, preparation, planning, drawing, and control.
- Use of numerical control and conventional machine tools: at advanced level including advanced machine programming.
- 3D and 2D technical drawing: with Catia or other design packages, including ISO tolerance standards.
- Knowledge metallic materials processing.
- Precision assembly and construction.
- Perform conventional dimensional metrology on marble.
- Quality management: of the mechanical workshop and all the pieces manufactured.
- Performance management: manage the team working in the mechanical workshop.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written French; ability to understand English or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.01.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.