Research Assistant in Immunology
RMIT is a global university of technology, design and enterprise. Our mission is to help shape the world through research, innovation, teaching and engagement, and to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work.
The School of Health and Biomedical Sciences comprises three Academic Clusters (Allied Health, Applied Health, and Biomedical Sciences). Primarily based at the RMIT Bundoora campus, the School undertakes teaching and research across ten disciplines: Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Exercise Science, Human Biosciences, Laboratory Medicine, Medical Radiations, Nursing, Pharmacy, Psychology and Osteopathy. Many of the School's programs utilise Work Integrated Learning as an intrinsic part of their teaching either within partner industries or through the University's state-of-the-art student led Clinic located at Bundoora.
The School has a strategic focus on chronic disease and integrative health care with cross-cutting themes of: Indigenous Health, Exercise & Nutrition, Ageing in Health & Disease, and Medical Devices, Diagnostics and Prognostics. The School is internationally and nationally competitive in the clinical and biomedical sciences. Research within the School is supported by modern facilities and state-of-the-art equipment.
We are looking for a conscientious Research Assistant with an Honours or Masters in immunology and/or oncology with relevant experience in immunology. The Research Assistant will be involved in projects investigating nanoparticle based vaccines in animal models, as well as human clinical trials investigating the immune system of women with ovarian cancer and the elderly. The candidate must be able to perform peripheral blood mononuclear cell isolation, cryopreservation, and cytokine analysis (preferably multiplex/bioplex).
- Perform processing of clinical samples and cryopreservation
- Conduct multiplex cytokine assays and analyse them
- Work on animal immunizations and small animal surgery
- Perform flowcytometry assays and analysis
- Analyse experiments in forms suitable for review and external presentations under supervision
- Work in teams to perform the processing animal tissues in cancer or vaccine studies
- Learn and perform and optimize other assays as required
- Contribute to the safe and smooth working environment of the laboratory and to training of junior lab members and students
Skills & Experience Required
- An Honours or Masters in immunology
- Demonstrated experience in relevant laboratory procedures
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to work in a high-paced environment
- Highly developed organisational, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to keep accurate records
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
For further information please contact Professor Magdalena Plebanski at firstname.lastname@example.org or to view a position description visit yourcareer.rmit.edu.au and search using job reference number 559226.
Applications close on Monday, the 15th of January 2018.
Applicants are requested to separately address the key selection criteria as outlined in the Position Description. This role will require satisfactory confirmation of a Working with Children Check.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community.