Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor in Underground Mining Geotechnical Engineering
- One of the world’s top engineering universities
- Cutting edge facilities and world-leading researchers
- Commitment to educational excellence and innovation in teaching
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
UNSW Engineering is recruiting outstanding and inspirational individuals to join our world-leading group of researchers and teachers to build on our success and take the Faculty into the world’s top 20 engineering faculties.
As Australia’s leading engineering faculty, we create bold new solutions to globally relevant challenges to improve lives. We combine the world’s best facilities and innovative research with an exciting and connected education experience to open doors for our graduates.
The School of Mining Engineering
The UNSW School of Mining Engineering is the leading mining engineering research and teaching institution in Australia supporting its significant minerals-rich resources sector. It was ranked 5th in the 2017 Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) ranking of world leading universities, a reflection of its strong research performance and being a leading mining education provider. Its high achieving academic staff are engaged in a cross section of research activities spanning mining engineering. With the support of industry and government, the School focuses on the various aspects of mining engineering with particular emphasis on mine geotechnical engineering, the sustainability of minerals supply through the Australian Centre for Sustainable Mining Practices (ACSMP), future mining technologies and systems, and Virtual Reality innovations. For further information visit http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/mining-engineering/ .
About the role
This position will play an integral role in maintaining the School’s national and international profile in Underground Mining Geotechnical Engineering with a strong focus on hard rock mining education and research and will be closely involved with many of the School’s undergraduate and post graduate courses.
This position will contribute to the School’s research strategy in the areas of Undergound Mining Geotechnical Engineering (hard rock). The position is expected to collaborate closely with other specialist UNSW geotechnical and engineering staff, and other national and international universities and research organisations.
The appointment would be:
- level C ($125k - $143K per annum), level D ($149K - $164K per annum) or level E ($191K per annum) plus 17% superannuation and leave loading, commensurate with academic qualifications and experience,
- full time,
- to a Convertible Tenure Track Employment Contract for an initial fixed term period of 5 years, with conversion to continuing appointment based on satisfactory performance and there being sufficient productive work available.
The Faculty reserves the right to offer an appointment on a continuing basis or to directly appoint to advertised positions.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate who has:
- A PhD preferably in Mine Geotechnical Engineering or, in Mining Engineering or another related engineering field
- A demonstrated record of excellence in research with international impact
- A commitment to delivering high quality and innovative teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels
- The ability to actively engage with industry and the community.
UNSW Engineering strongly encourages female applicants and actively supports women to succeed through specific Faculty and UNSW initiatives and generous parental leave provisions and flexible work practices.
Applicants from industry and professional backgrounds are especially welcome and should demonstrate their equivalent level of standing as demonstrated by professional experience.
UNSW desires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aspires to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff, paying particular attention to ensuring no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability or Indigenous origin.
The preferred candidate will be required to undergo pre-employment checks prior to appointment.
How to apply
Submit your application through www.jobs.unsw.edu.au
Be sure to review the position documentation and systematically address the selection criteria in your application.
Any enquiries can be forwarded to Associate Professor Paul Hagan, Head of School:
T: +61 9385 5998
Applications close: Midnight, Friday 23 February 2018 (AEDT)