Electronics Technician in the Beams Department (BE), Beams Instrumentation Group (BI).
As an Electronics Technician, you will join:
- the Beams Department (BE), responsible for the beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization for all particle accelerators at CERN including the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) (https://beams.web.cern.ch/).
- the Beam Instrumentation Group (BI) and collaborate with many different specialists in the field of electronics, software, mechanics and physics to master the challenges of building, maintaining, testing and installing the electronic systems required to measure the parameters of accelerated particle beams.
As an Electronics Technician, your task will be to build, test, install and maintain the electronic systems used to monitor the particle beams throughout the entire CERN accelerator complex.
Your main activities will consist of:
- Producing, assembling, testing and installing electronic acquisition systems and their related cabling infrastructure for instrumentation used to optimize the performance of the LHC and its injector chain.
- Maintaining the electronic components of beam instrumentation systems across the CERN accelerator complex.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent qualification in the field of electronics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience as a technician in the field of electronics.
- Experience with producing and testing analogue and digital circuits.
- Experience with oscilloscopes, signal generators and other instruments for maintenance and troubleshooting.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Commissioning, operation & maintenance of electronic systems.
- Installation & dismantling of electro-mechanical equipment.
- Assembly of connectors and cables, including related techniques and tools.
- Components assembly, including related techniques and tools: assembly of surface mounted components on printed circuit boards, pick and place techniques, soldering, bonding, and verification.
- Analog and Digital testing and measurements techniques.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participates fully and takes an active role in team activities.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
The language competencies required for this post are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations. Willingness to acquire knowledge of the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 28.02.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving license is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.