Senior Officer of Access Services, Library, Research and Learning Resources
Closing Date: 05 January 2017
Contract Status: Full-time
Salary & Benefits: RMB 212, 000 to RMB 264,000 per annum before all deductions, depending on qualifications and experience
Working Location: Ningbo
Reporting to the Director, Library, Research and Learning Resources (LRLR), the Senior Officer of Access Services will take the lead on the delivery of access services to library users. The role holder will ensure consistency and operational effectiveness throughout the library.
Leading the Library Access Services Section, the Senior Officer will coordinate all policies and procedures for library customer services and statistics, interlibrary loans, and access to library spaces, materials, and equipment. The Senior Officer of Access Services is responsible for library space transformation, development and management to ensure it’s suitable for teaching, learning and research requirements all the time; student engagement to ensure excellent communications with student bodies and activities; the library’s primary liaison to the University’s facilities management and security and safety departments, ensuring that the library’s facilities are clean, safe, and accessible. This position is also responsible to engage closely with local communities.
The Senior Officer will work closely with the Director of Library, Research and Learning Resources and Library Senior Management Team to advise, plan and develop the functions of new library building.
- First degree (or equivalent);
- 3-year & above working experience in relevant position
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to motivate and inspire a team;
- Excellent influencing skills gained at a senior level;
- Outstanding management skills including project and change management;
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- An ability to work effectively in a team environment with colleagues from different professional backgrounds;
- An ability to prioritise and to schedule workloads in the face of conflicting demands, within resource limitations;
- Knowledge of library access services processes and procedures, including circulation services, integrated library systems, interlibrary loan, collection management, stacks maintenance, and collection analysis.
- Knowledge of national and international best practice and standards in library service provision;
- Commitment to meeting the needs of University staff and students;
- Good information technology skills;
- Professional experience in access services at an academic library, preferably in a supervisory role.
- Experience of analysing and improving access services operations and workflows
- Experience of developing and implementing communication and engagement strategies and initiatives;
- Experience of collection maintenance in an academic library;
- Experience of the management and direction of projects;
- A proactive approach to service development.
- Postgraduate qualification in library science;
- Formal training in project, programme and portfolio management;
- Ability to develop and maintain external professional contacts and networks;
- Able to communicate in Chinese.
- Experience of the application of technologies to support library service delivery;
- Experience of customer relationship management and CRM systems.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and LRLR Strategic Development
- Lead the strategic alignment and development of all aspects of library access services, including long range planning and policy recommendations, for review by LRLR Director;
- Develop services in line with the university priorities; innovating and learning from best practice elsewhere;
- Manage the staff and budget resource to maximise services and support offered;
- Lead and oversee the annual development and implementation of operational plans and their on-going review;
- Work with LRLR Director, Senior Management Team and the university stakeholders to develop departmental wide strategy, inputting with particular focus on the needs of customers, drawing on good and innovative practice elsewhere.
- Advise, plan and develop the functions of new library building; monitors renovation and construction projects.
- Establish consistent policies and procedures for circulation services and statistics, interlibrary loan services and general user services;
- Generate reports and assesses current services and identifies improvements by use of user data
- Collect and analyse circulation statistics for assessment of library services.
- Evaluate and recommend new tools, services, and processes for access services, including keeping abreast of updates and changes to library management system
- Lead on building and managing strategic relationships between the library and users; develop, plan and deliver effective communication strategies;
- Lead the delivery of quality outreach activities, such as exhibitions, reading programmes, public lectures and etc.;
- Adopt creative approaches to attract students engaged with LRLR activities;
- Supervise student advisers who provide access services at Library Enquiries Desk
- Represent LRLR in focus groups or Learning Community Forum on related areas of responsibility.
- Keep the library space to be welcoming all the time;
- Lead space innovation according to changes of customers’ behavior in the area of learning, teaching and research;
- Play a key role in maintaining the security of the library, in collaboration with the University’s facilities management and security and safety departments;
- Plans, directs, controls, and introduces improvements in facility management, building operations, energy efficiency, and equipment.
- Team management efficient and productive to ensure realising the department goals;
- Set and review goals for staff as part of the University PDRP process;
- Act as escalation point for issues and problems;
- Identify and provide for training and development needs;
- Implement HR processes and guidelines for managing performance including hearing any disciplinary actions.
Team Leadership and Management
Project Direction and Change Management
Direct and lead Library Access Services projects; Steering the scope and shape of work, ensuring cross department links are made, and that resources are prioritised in line with strategy. Oversee the management of all aspects of the project lifecycle including planning, benefits realisation and closure. This will also include input into:
- Business case development;
- Commissioning external consultants and temporary staff as skills and capacity dictate;
- Facilitating agreement with senior stakeholders of project/programme scope and success criteria.
- Participate in training and staff development, as trainer or trainee as appropriate, to develop and foster relevant expertise and awareness for global engagement;
- Maintain a proactive and flexible approach to delivering work objectives and assisting other members in global engagement team as and when appropriate;
- Any other duties appropriate to the grade and role
This job description may be subject to revision following discussion with the person appointed and forms part of the contract of employment.
How to Apply
Please send job application with the following documents before the closing date:
- UNNC Application Form (please download from here); http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/about/documents/applicationform.doc
- Cover Letter;
Please kindly note that all documents should be completed in English and in Word/ PDF format.
Late or incomplete application will not be considered to be shortlisted.
Please send application and enquiries to email@example.com