Postdoc in the field of Evolution of Cenozoic amphibian and reptile assemblages in Europe
POSTDOC POSITION in the field of ?Evolution of Cenozoic amphibian and reptile assemblages in Europe in the context of paleobiogeographical and paleoclimatic development?
Department Department of Geological Sciences – Faculty of Science
Deadline 28 Jan 2018
Start date March 2018
Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic invites excellent scientists to apply for a
POSTDOC POSITION in the field of “Evolution of Cenozoic amphibian and reptile assemblages in Europe in the context of paleobiogeographical and paleoclimatic development”
The postdoc researcher should be focused on the following topics:
1. The morphological, taxonomical and evolutionary study of fossil amphibians and reptiles with a special focus on fossil turtles.
2. The applicant should be able to participate in the complex study of the evolution of European ectotherm communities (especially amphibians and reptiles) in the context of Cenozoic paleobiogeographic and paleoclimatic development. His/her research should extend current knowledge of the impact of the "Miocene Climate Optimum" (MCO) on biota development. Active cooperation with specialists in various fields (paleobotany and sedimentology) is envisaged.
The Department of Geological Sciences, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University Brno offers all the facilities necessary for complex paleobiological research including SEM (Jeol JSM-6490LV), stereomicroscope LEICA MZ16 + DFC 480 (5mpx) and electron microprobe (CAMECA SX100). A modern chemical laboratory is also available.
The successful candidate should:
- be a researcher who has received a PhD or its equivalent within the last 7 years
- be a researcher who has worked at least two whole years in the last three outside the territory of the Czech Republic in the field of research with a working time of at least 0.5 full-time equivalent, or who has been PhD student (or equivalent) abroad
- have a publishing record – in the last three years at least two publication outputs registered in the Thomson Reuters Web of Science, Scopus or ERIH PLUS databases and at the same time publications such as “articles”, “books”, “book chapters”, “letters” and “reviews”. The applicant must be the principal author of at least one publication (according to the subject specificity it may be as the first author, the corresponding/reprint author, or the role of the individual authors stated in the article).
- have experience in field of paleobiology, paleoecology and osteology with a special focus on fossil turtles
- have experience with research projects focused on paleobiodiversity, climatic reconstruction and the taxonomy of turtles
- have excellent communication skills and an ability to collaborate with multiple teams
The application should include:
- a CV including a summary of work experience, publication activity, involvement in research grants, etc.
- a Cover Letter
- MU offers the opportunity to gain:
- an interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- diverse and challenging work in an excellent research environment
- possible tenure track with an initial appointment for two years
- a professional team and a pleasant working environment
- interaction with leading scientists in an inspiring, internationalised environment
- a Welcome Service for the successful candidate and his/her family
Anticipated start date: The position is available from March 2018.
The submission date is 28 January 2018.
Please submit your application (or informal enquiries) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
A review of applications will commence immediately after the deadline. Short-listed candidates will be invited for interview within one month of the deadline.
Further information about:
- Postdoc@MUNI is available at http://postdoc.muni.cz
- Masaryk University is available at www.muni.cz/en
- Brno is available at http://www2.brno.cz/index.php?lan=en&nav01=20608&nav02=20617