Research Support Leader, Mechanical Engineering & Microfabrication
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
Research Support Leader, Mechanical Engineering & Microfabrication Support Section
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The mechanical engineering workshop is housed in a dedicated, purpose built facility opened in 2016. Trained technical staff undertake fabrication using CAD. User facilities include machine tools and 3D printers. OIST also has state-of-the-art clean rooms equipped for microfabrication involving patterning, thin film deposition and etching. The Research Support Leader position entails running all aspects of the shared instruments operation within these facilities. In addition, OIST aims to develop support for vacuum systems and electronics over the coming years.
Research Support Leader
Mechanical Engineering & Microfabrication Support Section, Research Support Division
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 7.9 million ~ 15.1 million yen (Job class: Research Support Leader, RS4)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Cover letter in both English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in both English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
As early as possible
Application Due Date:
Applications deadline will continue until the position is filled.
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
Or send documents via post mail to:
Recruiting Team, HR Management Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).