Research Fellow in Computer Science
Faculty of Engineering and IT (School of Software)
UTS has a bold vision to be a world-leading university of technology. We are a dynamic and innovative university in central Sydney, consistently ranked the top young university in Australia.
We are proud to have a culturally diverse campus life, and extensive international exchange and research programs, UTS prepares graduates for the workplaces of today and tomorrow.
The research fellow is expected to carry out industrial research at the University of Technology Sydney in conjunction with Vault Systems Pty Ltd. The successful Research Fellow will be tasked with developing secure Cloud Infrastructure (using OpenStack) and during the later stages of the project work in a team in carrying out Cloud-based data analytics.
This role is being offered under the STEM+ Business Fellowship Program which provides opportunities for early career researchers to build new skills and relationships within the industry. The STEM+ program is an initiative of the Science and Industry Endowment Fund. (http://www.sief.org.au/)
This position will be responsible for the following industrial research activities and scholarship:
- Development of Cloud Infrastructure using OpenStack in addition to the existing Vault’s infrastructure
- Developing practical analytical solutions on top of the hosted Cloud data
- Liaising with the relevant industry contact personnel from Vault Pty Ltd including the industry supervisor on a regular basis
- Preparation and submission of project report, as and when requested by the academic supervisor
- Co-supervision of PhD students with the academic supervisor
- Preparation and submission of manuscripts to international conferences and journals.
- The research fellow will be required to carry out other duties from time to time, as requested by the academic supervisor and the industrial supervisor.
Main skills/experience required:
- Experience in the development of cloud-based practical software applications
- Proven experience with using OpenStack in developing secure Cloud platforms
- Capability to develop Artificial Intelligence (AI)-based solutions on top of Cloud-hosted data
- Ability to critically analyse business problems and propose innovative practice solutions
- Doctoral qualifications in Computer Science or Software Engineering
Salary Range: $97, 273 to $115, 486 pa (Level B). Suitable remuneration will be offered to the selected candidate.
This appointment will be on a Fixed Term Full Time basis for a period of 36 months.
This role attracts 17% superannuation in addition to the base salary. Employee benefits include flexible work practices, child care centres, generous parental leave and salary packaging opportunities.
How to Apply
Prior to commencing your application for IRC102268, please review the Position Description and the relevant selection criteria, which you are required to address in your submission in a separate document. Seek applicants must click ‘Apply for this job’ and will be taken to our Jobs at UTS site.
Please note that only those applications submitted via the UTS online recruitment system will be accepted. Current UTS employees should apply through their UTS Employee Self Service function.
As you will be unable to save your application once started, please have all required documents and information available prior to commencing.
Please ensure that the file name for each document submitted includes IRC102268.
Specific enquiries or issues with your application may be directed to the UTS Recruitment Team at email@example.com or on +61 (0) 2 9514 1080.
Closing Date: Monday 15th January 2018 at 11.59 PM (AEST)
UTS is widely acknowledged as a leader in promoting gender equity and social justice. Cited as a WGEA Employer of Choice since the inception of the award, UTS is a current participant in the SAGE pilot program, the Australian trial of the Athena Swan gender equity accreditation program. We welcome applications from women, particularly for senior and non-traditional roles.