PhD Position in Political History and Scandinavian Studies
1 Fully-funded PhD Position in Political History and Scandinavian Studies at the Department of Language and Literature
The Department of Language and Literature at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology invites applications from qualified individuals for a 3-year PhD position within the project “Conservatism at the Crossroads: Conservative thought and the renewal of democratic politics in Britain and Scandinavia, 1930-1963”, beginning in August 2018
The project examines the historical and contemporary significance of external thinking on British and Scandinavian Conservative parties in the period 1930-1963. It combines comparative and transnational approaches to throw new light on the development of intellectual cultures of Conservatism in these countries. In doing so, it re-evaluates Conservative responses to the challenges of the Great Depression, the Second World War, and the rise of Labour or social democratic politics in this period.
The PhD candidate will contribute towards the main project by analysing the development of Conservative ideas and politics in Norway from comparative and transnational perspectives. The project is funded by the Norwegian Research Council and the PhD candidate will work closely with Associate Professor Gary Love at NTNU (https://www.ntnu.edu/employees/gary.love). The PhD candidate will also work as part of a research team of four historians, which includes Professor Torbjörn Nilsson (Södertörn University, Sweden).
The Department of Language and Literature is part of the Faculty of Humanities, situated at NTNU’s Dragvoll campus in Trondheim. The Department has more than 80 permanent academic staff and approximately 25 PhD candidates who teach and conduct research in areas such as Comparative Literature, Applied Linguistics, English, French, German, Scandinavian languages and literature, General Linguistics, Sign Language and Interpretation, Phonetics, and Cultural History. The Department of Language and Literature offers studies on all levels from BA to PhD, and we are responsible for the MA in Language Studies with Teacher Education. The department has a vital research environment and is responsible for several large-scale research projects. Further information concerning the academic profile of the department, management and staff can be found at http://www.ntnu.edu/isl
The successful applicant will
- complete the PhD dissertation in English
- participate in and complete the PhD programme within the period of the appointment. The Faculty of Humanities hosts 4 PhD programmes (Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture, Humanities and the Arts, Language and Linguistics and Historical and Cultural Studies). The disciplines that are included in these programmes can be found under the respective programmes: http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phhist
The successful applicant must
- hold a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) in History or a related discipline, with a strong academic record. This includes a weighted average grade of B or higher in terms of NTNU’s grading scale for the last two years of their master’s.
- have previous knowledge of Norwegian and/ or Scandinavian political history
- read the Norwegian language at a high academic level
- possess strong written and oral skills in the English language
How to Apply?
The application must be sent electronically through the website Jobbnorge (http://www.jobbnorge.no), and be marked with the file number for the position (HF 17-059).
The application must contain information about education, exams and previous employment. The application must further include:
- a one page cover letter explaining the applicant’s motivation for the position
- a research proposal of 3-5 pages
- a list of all relevant publications
- certified copies of certificates and testimonials
Applicants that are considered for the position will be asked for references and invited to an interview.
Please note: Applications that are not sent through Jobbnorge and/or are sent after the application deadline will not be taken into consideration
Terms of appointment
The positions are remunerated according to salary level 50 in the national salary scheme, gross NOK 436 900,- annually (2017), of which 2 per cent is deducted for the State Pension scheme.
The person appointed will be required to abide by the regulations that govern changes and developments within the discipline, and to follow the requirements of all organizational changes that decisions relating to the university's activities may involve.
The appointment will be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants.
It is policy within the state sector that employees should come from backgrounds that reflect as fully as possible the diversity of the population at large. The state has accordingly set the goal of a workforce whose composition reflects that of the population at large with regard to age and gender. It has also set itself the goal of recruiting employees with an immigrant background, and such individuals are encouraged to apply for this post.
You may request to have your name withheld from public access. If you wish to do so, you must explain why your application should be treated as confidential. If you request that your name be withheld from public access, your request will be considered in relation to the Open File Act § 25. If your request to have your name kept from public access is denied, you will be so informed and you will be given the opportunity to withdraw your application.
For further information
To receive a full description of the research project, please contact Associate Professor Gary Love (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Questions about the application process can be directed to HR advisor Hege Tverå Nilsson, email: email@example.com).
The application deadline is 01.02.2018
About this job
- Deadline Thursday, February 1, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service NTNU Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 145138
- Internal ID HF17-059
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Fixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!