UNSW Canberra is a campus of the University of New South Wales located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra. UNSW Canberra endeavours to offer staff a rewarding experience and offers many opportunities and attractive benefits, including:
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work
- One of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities
- Australian bush land setting with FREE parking
- FREE Onsite GYM and Indoor Sports Centre
- Strong commitment to staff development and learning
- Strong commitment to work life and family balance
- Generous superannuation and salary packaging opportunities
Public Leadership Research Group (PLRG) - Howard Library
In March 2014 John Howard announced the transfer from the National Archives of Australia (NAA) to the University of NSW (UNSW) of his collection of personal papers and associated Commonwealth records accumulated while a member of Parliament, and as a Minister and then Prime Minister. The ‘John Howard Collection’ represents a nationally significant record of Australia’s recent history. It comprises more than 10,000 items of personal papers and official records totalling 150 metres of shelf space from the early years of John Howard’s political career to his time as Treasurer, Leader of the Opposition and Prime Minister, covering the period from 1974 to 2007. The transfer was made possible via a unique partnership between the NAA and UNSW Canberra that will deliver enhanced access and extended opportunities for use of the records by both academic researchers and the general public.
The Collection is being progressively transferred to the Defence Academy Library as records become available for public access under the Archives Act 1983 and enter the open access period/ UNSW Canberra received the first tranche of material from NAA in 2014 – the 40th anniversary of Mr Howard entering Federal Parliament in 1974 as the Member for Bennelong. These materials are drawn from the period 1974 to 1996. More records will be progressively received over the next 15 years with a total of 500 metres expected by 2028. The John Howard Collection will be supplemented by other personal and private items made available by the former prime minister and by the Howard Government Collection consisting of the personal papers of former Coalition ministers in the period 1996 to 2007.
About the role
- Level 4: $64,538 - $68,080 pa (pro-rata) - Level 5: $70,395 - $79,655 pa (pro-rata) +17% Super
- Fixed Term: 24 Months
- Part-time (17.5 hours per week – Tuesday-Thursday)
Under the direction of the Public Leadership Research Group (PLRG) Group Manager, the Administrative Assistant is the first point of contact for the Howard Library and provides administrative support and assistance within the PLRG-Howard Library.
The Administrative Assistant plays a key role in the establishment, maintenance and improvement of the Howard Library systems and processes to ensure the efficient and effective development of the Howard Library, within the PLRG.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will:
- Meet the education and work experience requirements of this position
- Demonstrate an excellent record in performing administrative duties within a university or a similar organisation
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, with proven ability to develop good relationships and to work as part of a team
- Show excellent organisational, administration and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks, establish priorities and meet deadlines, while maintaining excellent attention to detail.
- Have proficient word-processing, spreadsheet, web, database and related computer skills
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Mr Andrew Blyth
Group Manager, Public Leadership Research Group-Howard Library
T: (61 2) 0466 402 415
Applications close: 17 December 2017