Professor of Geography
FACULTY OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT
School of Geography, Earth Science and Environment
Build a legacy with us!
The University of the South Pacific is one of two regional universities in the world and is the leading tertiary education provider and research facility in the South Pacific. We are supported by 12 Pacific Island Countries; Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
We have 14 campuses across 33 million square kilometers of ocean. The USP is owned and supported by 12 Pacific Island countries. We are committed to leaving a lasting legacy for all of these countries by developing their leaders of tomorrow. We have significant ambitions for the future and we need great talents and personalities to achieve them. The USP provides support for cutting edge research and innovations and has good ICT facilities and satellite links to most countries in the Region. USP offers programmes through distance and flexible learning in a variety of modes and technologies throughout USP’s 14 campuses.
The school of Geography, Earth Science and Environment is looking for a Professor of Geography and Environmental Studies. The Professor of Geography and Environmental Studies provides leadership in quality teaching and learning, research, consultancy and community outreach. Additional activities are in the fields of education for sustainable development and capacity building with special emphasis on the sustainable management of resources, livelihoods, adaptation to environmental change, and the strengthening of applied research in these areas.
The appointee is expected to:
- Be actively involved in academic pursuits in the broad areas of applied geography on issues of environmental change, sustainable management and conservation of resources, with emphasis on the impacts of environmental and climate change;
- Facilitate the development of appropriate postgraduate, and undergraduate programmes
- Assist the University in dealing with national, regional and international agencies, as well as NGOs on matters relating to sustainable development and environmental management;
- Play a key role in project development to attract external funding and project implementation; and;
- Fulfill any other relevant duties that may be required for the smooth running of the School and the University.
People with innovative ideas and skills in ‘making it happen’ are most likely to succeed in this position.
The Person We Seek
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- A PhD in Geography, with a strong background in the wider areas of physical geography, natural resources management and conservation and/ or environmental change;
- Extensive tertiary teaching experience;
- A distinguished record in research and publication in relevant fields;
- Proven expertise in project proposal writing, project implementation, preparation of synthesis reports;
- Proven record of postgraduate supervision;
- Strong inter-personal and leadership skills;
- A commitment to teamwork and multi-disciplinary approaches.
Preference will be given to applicants with: Proven expertise in environmental change and management in the context of small island developing countries and a proven record of successful liaison with international and national donor agencies.
The position is available for a term of 5 years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Salary Range: Professor FJ$129,078 to FJ$139,543 per annum
The University may pay an inducement allowance to secure the services of an exceptionally well qualified candidate.
In addition to the above benefits, the University contributes 10% of basic salary to an approved superannuation scheme, provides airfare and relocation costs where appropriate.
Enquiries:Dr. Anjeela Jokhan, Dean of Faculty of Science, Technology & Environment, email: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 7 January 2018
How to Apply
Candidates may use the University’s online E-Recruitment system to view full details and apply for this position at https://www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj Manual and emailed applications are no longer accepted. Candidates may request further information from the Human Resources Office; tel.: (679) 32 32072; email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Please also include the following documents in your application: Cover letter and Resume clearly addressing key Selection Criteria, academic transcript and names of three referees, one of which must be your current or most recent direct work supervisor.