Mosquito and Arbovirus Research Committee: Research Officer
4 days left
- Full Time
$AUD 76,615 - $AUD 82,202 pa plus superannuation and salary packaging.
Duration of Appointment:
This is a full time appointment for 12 months with possible annual extensions.
What we offer:
- Salary Packaging
- Bonus Superannuation
- Supportive/collaborative team environment
- State of the art facilities
- Stimulating work setting focused on cutting edge medical research
Submit an online application at:
Contact: Gregor Devine on Greg.Devine@qimrberghofer.edu.au
4 January 2018
About the Mosquito Control Laboratory:
The position is funded by local and state government but the MARC Scientist is based in Brisbane at the Mosquito Control Laboratory, QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute. The focus of this group is to develop novel approaches to mosquito surveillance and control and to understand how mosquitoes and arboviruses interact. Our current expertise includes ecology, behaviour, genomics and arbovirology.
Role Purpose / Responsibilities:
A research scientist with experience in insect ecology, behaviour, control or surveillance is required to work with the Mosquito and Arbovirus Research Committee (MARC) on a variety of topics prioritized by local and state government. These include: 1) coastal and freshwater mosquito ecology, 2) habitat management, 3) new approaches to surveillance and control, 4) risks of exotic mosquito invasions and 5) insecticide efficacy trials. Candidates will have excellent project management and communication skills and will be able to synthesise reviews of current developments in mosquito control as well as deliver publication-quality reports. The post is 70% research and 30% communication and administration. Some interstate travel may be required.
The primary responsibilities are:
- Consultation with MARC members to prioritise research areas.
- Regular attendance and presentation at stakeholder meetings.
- Oversight, management and execution of research projects.
- Provision of oral and written reports and reviews as required by the MARC.
- Assist in the supervision of postgraduate researchers at QIMR Berghofer.
Preference is likely to be given to candidates with research experience in mosquito biology and/or control but we will consider candidates from related fields (e.g. agricultural pest management, insect behaviour and ecology). The following are required:
- PhD in a relevant field (insect ecology, behaviour, control, surveillance).
- Experience of field work and project management.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrable ability to write, present and publish.
- Valid driver’s license.