The Business Analyst is responsible for the analysis of business requirements; establishment of effective and efficient business processes and provides system solutions to ensure continued process improvement and effectiveness using JCU’s corporate systems. The incumbent maintains existing systems, applies patches and version upgrades as required, ensures data integrity and security is maintained and participates in the implementation of new systems.
The Business Analyst trains staff on use and functions, mentors and supports team members as needed to develop and improve knowledge and processes.
Division of Academic and Student Life
The Division of Academic and Student Life is responsible for the overall strategy in relation to learning and teaching, academic quality, student services, careers and counselling, equity and library and information services at JCU. The Division plays a critical role in working with and across the Colleges and Divisions at JCU and also works in collaboration with the Office of the Senior Deputy-Vice Chancellor in driving and meeting the University’s objectives and Strategic Intent. The Division of Academic and Student Life oversees a large component of the student experience within James Cook University.
The Division includes the Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement Directorate, Library and Information Services Directorate, and the Student Services Directorate.
Student Services Directorate
The Student Services Directorate provides academic, administrative and student support services to the University community and is responsible for a large component of the non-academic domestic and international student experience at JCU. The Directorate plays a pivotal role in relation to the student experience, the ability of the University to meet its enrolment and financial targets and the reputation of the University.
James Cook University
Division of Academic and Student Life
Student Services Directorate
- Provide system knowledge and technical expertise in the support of users, including liaison with users to identify and analyse business requirements; design and recommend effective solutions for issues; provide timely advice; assist clients in areas of user technique, operational troubleshooting, and capabilities.
- Design, propose and review effective functional solutions that meet the ongoing requirements of the University’s business practices, including evaluating potential improvements of business needs and practices; overseeing and participating in detailed analysis of user requirements; creating solution designs and specifications addressing user functional requirements.
- Develop test plans that prove the effectiveness of solutions with respect to the agreed design including testing of configuration and development work, identification of test scenarios, test cases and expected results and provide test exit criteria for each unit of work.
- Coordinate and develop training modulesand self-help documentation and conduct training sessions that will assist system users to gain the most benefit from the relevant information system, including liaison with process owners and helpdesk staff to monitor and improve the effectiveness of implemented training modules and user procedures.
- Evaluate software upgrades based on impact to existing business processes, develop and modify existing business processes as a result of the upgrade.
- Actively participate in the planning and implementation of major system upgrade projects including budgeting time and resources, scheduling and engaging with ICT and other sections of the wider University community impacted by the systems.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures relating to the provision of application support services to drive continuous improvement.
- (Team Lead position only) Provide effective management and decision making of Business Analyst team, including performance reviews to ensure a culture of high performance, customer service, teamwork and continuous improvement.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff. Your specific level descriptor can be found at:
Professional and Technical
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Business Analyst is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Business Analyst is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Business Analyst is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against selection criteria.
- Postgraduate qualification or progress towards a postgraduate qualification in a business related area; or extensive knowledge and experience witha project lifecycle and business analysis techniques and processes or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education and/or training.
- Demonstrated detailed knowledge and experience in business process re-engineering and demonstrated capacity to undertake complex analysis related to information systems.
- Demonstrated excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to organise workflow, meet deadlines and respond to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated high level oral and written communication skills with proven ability in negotiation, interpersonal communication and delivery of training and presentations.
- Demonstrated high level analytical and problem solving skills, a capacity to deal with complex system-related issues and proven ability for innovation to achieve objectives in re-design of business processes.
- Demonstrated software testing experience in an enterprise environment and the associated management of testing outcomes.
- (Team Lead position only) Demonstrated experience to effectively manage a team of technical staff including performance review, mentoring and change management to ensure results consistent with strategic and operational goals.
- Familiarity with Student Management systems, Curriculum Management systems,Customer Relationship Management systems and/or Student Placement systems in the higher education sector.
- Knowledge of database principles and SQL scripting.