Teacher Programmes Manager
International Relations (IR), Education, Communications and Outreach Group (ECO), Teacher and Student Programmes Section (TSP)
You will join the Teacher and Student Programmes section that runs a broad portfolio of programmes for teachers and school students, as well as carrying out Physics Education Research (PER) at CERN to support the delivery of the programmes.
This position is for a manager of teacher programmes at CERN, both national and international programmes. Managing these programmes includes representing them within CERN, externally, and in the international PER community. It is thus a position for a strong organiser, who is also a skilled education researcher.
As Teacher Programmes Manager you will
- Manage the annual programming and delivery of the CERN Teacher Programmes.
- Foster and manage relationships with CERN scientists and staff who participate in the programmes and in other initiatives.
- Develop partnerships with internal and external stakeholders in support of the programme.
- Develop an evaluation framework for the programmes, which will include formative and summative evaluation.
- Proactively raise awareness of the programme within CERN and at the local, national and international level.
- Co-supervise PER researchers in the team, specifically on projects relating to teacher programmes.
- Follow the developments in Physics Education Research and contribute to the team's research effort, as appropriate.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of in the field of science education with a specialization in Teacher Professional Development or related field.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the organisation of professional training for teachers.
- Extensive experience in communicating science to teachers and students, particularly physics.
- Demonstrated experience in evaluation of teachers and student programmes.
- Proven experience in the application of physics/natural sciences' school curricula.
- Experience in the field of physics education research.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Use of Office software packages.
- Application of statistical and numerical mathematical methods.
- Science writing, scientific popularization.
- Conference, workshop & event organisation.
- English speaking: listening comprehension, english writing, and english reading.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; appreciating humour and defusing tensions by seeking to remain positive in all situations.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion; following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Working in the interest of the organization: focusing on the broader picture; being able to set aside individual or team needs in the interest of the organization.
The language competencies required are:
Spoken and written English: ability to understand French in professional contexts. Ability to draw up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization, firmly anchored in its culture. In addition, employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08.01.2018.
By applying for a vacancy at CERN, you agree to allow the Organization to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure that you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the Recruitment Service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 year(s). Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.