Operation and Process Engineer
Operation and Process Engineer in the Technology Department (TE), Cryogenics Group (TE-CRG), Operations Section (TE-CRG-OP).
Within the Cyogenics group, Operations Section is responsible of the operation of the cryogenic systems and infrastructure of the LHC accelerator & detectors. This also includes:
- Functional analysis follow-up and upgrade of the LHC accelerator & detectors cryogenic systems.
- Follow-up and upgrade of the cryogenic process operation simulator.
- Supervision of maintenance inspection tasks.
- Consultancy & projects in refrigeration process for large cryogenic systems.
As a Cryogenic Operation and Process Engineer in the Operations section, you will follow hands-on training in the operation of the helium refrigeration system for the LHC machine and the LHC detectors. Combined with your own sound knowledge of process engineering, you will progressively understand and make design choices for the different equipment and be able to predict their transient behaviour.
Further to this integration and introductory period (approx. 1 year), you will participate in the process definition and detailed specification of the new refrigerators required for CERN's upcoming High Luminosity LHC upgrade.
Leading a small team of technical engineers and operators, you will notably:
- Take responsibility for the operation of one of the cryogenic equipment of the LHC machine and detectors.
- Resolve non-routine problems concerning operation, process and controls.
- Define upgrades and extensions of existing equipment in order to cope with new or additional process requirements.
- Define functional specifications for the controls of existing or additional equipment in order to cope with changing process requirements or to improve existing control routines.
- Participate in the process definition of the new refrigerators and distribution systems for the High Luminosity upgrade of the LHC machine, as well as in the definition of the specification for their procurement.
- Participate in the commissioning, acceptance testing and performance evaluation of new equipment.
These functions require close collaboration with people and services inside and outside the Organization.
Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Mechanical engineering, Chemical engineering, Process engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in process engineering, process calculation and design, with an interest in extending one's knowledge in the field of helium cryogenics.
- Experience with the following process equipment: volumetric and fluid dynamic compressors, pumps, control valves, heat exchangers and gas expansion turbines.
- Experience in cryogenics process operation would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of Process control functional analysis / Requirement analysis.
- Knowledge of thermodynamics.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; demonstrating a receptive approach to feedback; being open to criticism and reconsidering position accordingly.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
The language competencies required are:
- English or French: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations. The ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 17.12.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.