Teaching Assistant in Medicine
Basic Medical Sciences / Population Medicine Department
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
The College of Medicine is the eighth college of Qatar University and was founded in October 2014. It is fully aligned with Qatar’s national strategies in Education and Health, as well as Qatar University’s strategic plan. The College of Medicine will admit the first cohort of students in Fall 2015 and will utilize an innovative ability-based curriculum and a student-centered approach to teaching and learning to provide the knowledge and skills necessary to graduate competent physicians to meet the health care needs of society. The College will offer a 6-year medical program, leading to an MD degree that will enable graduates to pursue advanced clinical training. Graduates will be prepared by the College of Medicine to sit for international medical licensing exams to ensure their seamless transition into the next phases of their medical careers. The College will contribute to medical education, patient care, medical research, and community outreach in Qatar. We intend to build an active, culturally and academically diverse faculty of the highest caliber, skilled in the scholarship of teaching, discovery, application and integration of knowledge. See our website at www.qu.edu.qa/medicine for further information.
Duties & Responsibilities
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
- Teaching Assistants aid the faculty in carrying out their teaching and research functions and are under direct supervision of the faculty member(s) to whom they are assigned.
- Teaching assistants are not permitted under any circumstances to carry out the functions of a faculty member.
- Teaching Assistants are responsible for assisting academic staff in the delivery of high quality education to undergraduate students.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare sufficiently to carry out the stated aims and objectives of the tutorial/exercise class.
- Facilitate and/or lead group discussions, either in small groups or with the whole class.
- Facilitate discussion around the theme of the class/tutorial.
- Ensure the smooth running of equipment necessary to achieve the aims of the class/tutorial (e.g. computers, software packages).
- Obtain from the course lecturer, or provide, suitable additional teaching materials as relevant to the stated aims of the class/tutorial.
- Aim to maintain a conducive atmosphere and environment for the achievement of the aims of the class/tutorial.
- Keep records of student attendance using the University Blackboard system
- Report briefly on the attendance and work of each student at the end of each semester.
- Hold an office hour once a week or once a fortnight as appropriate for each course, notifying tutees accordingly.
- Distribute, and arrange for return of course evaluation questionnaires for each tutorial group taught.
- Mark essays, assignments or other forms of formative assessment as required by the course programme.
Direction is received from designated official.
Functional and administrative supervision exercised over office and support staff
- Minimum of Master’s degree in health-related field is necessary. Working on PhD is preferred.
- A willingness and ability to acquire knowledge and understanding of University teaching quality standards including examination standards and procedures.
- An ability to lead a group activity.
- Good presentation, communication and analytical skills.
- Advanced computer and basic IT skills (MS office, Excel, Photoshop, e-learning, videoconferencing, IT connectivity & communications etc.)
- An understanding of issues affecting undergraduates in their learning environment.
- Curriculum Vitea with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitea.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.