Professor of Mathematics Education
QUT is a major Australian university with a global outlook and a 'real world' focus. We are one of the nation’s fastest growing research universities and our courses are in high demand. Our graduates include eight Rhodes Scholars, five of these awarded in the past six years.
We are an ambitious and collaborative institution that seeks to equip our students and graduates with the skills they will need in an increasingly disrupted and challenged world. We are transforming the student experience we offer our 50,000 students and we place a premium on the international and national accreditation of our various professional degrees.
QUT is home to The Cube, acknowledged as one of the world’s largest digital interactive learning and display spaces. We are invested heavily in collaborative learning and interdisciplinary research environments.
Further information about QUT can be obtained from the website at www.qut.edu.au.
The QUT Blueprint 5 is our institutional strategic plan. It sets out priorities, strategies and key performance indicators to drive greater coherence and coordination of our efforts. Our overall vision for the future is:
- to provide outstanding real world education through physical and virtual learning environments and innovative courses that lead to excellent outcomes for graduates living in a diverse and complex environment characterised by rapid, transformative change;
- to focus on being a globally leading university that delivers solutions to the challenges of today and of the future through high-impact research that spans discipline boundaries and works in partnership with end users, leveraging our deep technological strengths and alignment to the human capital and innovation needs of the global economy;
- to strengthen and extend partnerships with professional and broader communities to build our reputation as a source of knowledge that is applied to real world challenges.
About the Faculty of Education
The QUT Faculty of Education generates highcalibre research in selected areas to promote wellbeing and social inclusion, and to maximise life chances with a view to achieving significant public, commercial and practical benefit for the community and our partners.
We have an international reputation as an exceptional education research faculty and foster a strong intellectual climate, providing support for our academic researchers and research students with the aim of:
- achieving excellence in research
- generating real world impact
- building research capacity in staff and research students.
We are a recognised leader in research and research training, as evidenced by our 'above world standard' ranking overall in the 2010, 2012 and 2015 National Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) assessments. In 2015, we were one of only two universities in Australia to receive 'well above world standard rating' in curriculum and pedagogy. We also rated above world standard overall for education, and in the fields of education systems and specialist studies in education.
About the School
The School of Teacher Education and Leadership offers high-quality courses taught by an accomplished and dynamic group of academics with national and international recognition for their teaching and research. The School strives to educate teachers committed to tackling the challenges of the 21st century by providing innovative educational opportunities for learners within the global society. Our students benefit from collaborative and multi-disciplinary approaches to research and teaching while studying in an environment that allows them to experiment, learn and grow within a Real World context.
About the Position
The School of Teacher Education and Leadership is seeking to appoint an outstanding Professor of Mathematics Education. The position will contribute to postgraduate and undergraduate teaching in the Master of Teaching (Early Childhood, Primary and Secondary Education) and the Bachelor of Early Childhood, Primary and Secondary Education programs. It is expected that the successful applicant will demonstrate a high level of connectivity between the education of preservice teachers and their engagement with the field.
The appointee must have a professional profile and be able to demonstrate leadership in both research and teaching as well as professional, industry and community links with a demonstrated capacity to provide teaching leadership in curriculum review, design and implementation in the areas of mathematics education.
This position reports to the Head, School of Teacher Education and Leadership for supervision, workload management and for Performance Planning and Review (PPR).
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide excellence and leadership in teaching and research efforts in mathematics education.
- Manage all aspects of research including project leadership, management of research teams and mentoring of early career researchers.
- Make a distinguished personal contribution to teaching and learning and provide leadership in curriculum development in mathematics education.
- Play a major role in scholarship, professional activities and service.
- Strengthen partnering relationships with industry and the community.
- Implement and administer University policy within the Faculty with respect to equitable access to education and workplace health and safety.
To be appointed as a Professor the successful applicant must meet the positon classification standards outlined in the QUT Enterprise Agreement (Academic Staff).
Real World Capabilities
To deliver on QUT’s global, collaborative and connected vision requires a workforce that embodies the following capabilities:
- Agility and openness to change
- Connectivity and collaboration (intra and inter-disciplinary)
- Cultural inclusion
- Digital literacy
- Future-focused thinking (strategic, innovative & design and entrepreneurial)
- Global in intent and reach
- Leadership of strategy, action and others
- Performance and resource management
Type of appointment
This appointment will be offered on an ongoing basis. The anticipated start date is in late January/February 2018.
Kelvin Grove campus.
- Possession of a doctoral qualification in Mathematics/Mathematics Education.
- Eligible for membership of the Queensland College of Teachers.
- Recognition nationally and internationally for educational research outcomes, including academic publications and translation into practise, with an ability to continue to produce and maintain these high level outcomes.
- Proven track record of exceptional teaching with demonstrated experience in developing innovative teaching materials.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate an adaptive, future orientation in teaching, curriculum development and unit coordination which promotes innovative and real-world learning.
- Sustained track record of external research income, preferably from both industry and government partners.
- Record of success in establishing and maintaining positive collaborations and productive working relationships to maximize performance and realise new research opportunities.
Remuneration and Benefits
The classification for this position is Academic Level E (LEVE) which has an annual remuneration of $206,729 pa. This is inclusive of an annual salary of $174,688 pa, 17% superannuation and 17.5% recreation leave loading.
Beyond personal and professional fulfilment, a career at QUT brings a broad range of tangible benefits. With competitive remuneration including superannuation, the University offers real and generous benefits.
QUT is a high quality and flexible organisation that is proud of its excellent employment conditions which include but are not limited to:
- Parental leave provisions
- Study support encompassing leave and financial assistance
- Comprehensive professional development
- Salary Packaging
Further benefits can be found at the Working at QUT page.
Information for applicants
The position is open to applicants who have ongoing, full-time work rights in Australia. Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
For further information about the position, please contact Professor Kar-Tin Lee, Head, School of Teacher Education and Leadership on (07) 3138 3803; or for further information about working at QUT contact the HR Department on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07 3138 4104.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply, please visit www.qut.edu.au/jobs for reference number 17586.
When applying for this position we encourage you to upload your response to the selection criteria.
Applications close 28 November 2017