Director, Central Program Management Office
Central Program Management Office (PMO)
- Lead the University through a major transformation of the institution
- Full-time, Fixed term for three years, competitive remuneration package.
- Darlington / Camperdown campus
About the opportunity
We are looking for a dynamic and influential leader to take on the role of Director, Central Program Management Office within the Vice-Principal (Strategy) Portfolio.The role is key to the execution of the University’s ambitious strategy, and to the effective and efficient delivery of large and complex initiatives.
The Director will lead the Central Program Management Office (PMO) to deliver key strategic initiatives across a number of service and academic areas, embedding an organisational wide approach to service improvement, and research and teaching excellence. Reporting directly to the Vice-Principal (Strategy), the role is to build and lead a best practice Program Management Office and to form strong and influential working relationships with the University’s executive. The Director will lead a team of experienced project specialists capable both of implementing University-wide programs and contributing project team resources and expertise to core business initiatives. To be successful in the role, the Director must be able to:
- possess the expertise of service delivery in relation to program management and governance, business process improvement, and strategic portfolio management
- Effectively lead organisational change
- Secure the trust of senior stakeholders
Key responsibilities of the role include the:
- the provision of program management, change management and continuous improvement capability and expertise to support the high-quality delivery of its schedule of strategic projects
- the development and implementation of an overarching program management governance and quality assurance framework
- the review and analysis of projects underway and associated reporting to the executive on the monitoring of project (performance, planning/delivery, costs, risks, benefit realisation)
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for a Director, Central Program Management Office who possesses demonstrated expertise in:
- leading a best practice program management office, which includes functional structure and operating model, the services catalogue and related business processes
- providing leadership, management and guidance to the PMO staff, whilst ensuring services delivered by the PMO meet the needs of the client, and are of the highest quality
- designing, implementing and overseeing the standardisation of methods and practice of project management and business process improvement approaches across the University
- establish, foster and maintain effective working relationships across the University
- conducting a full assessment and forecast of program impact, risks and threats, whilst recommending strategies and mitigations that minimise implications
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia’s first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
The Vice-Principal (Strategy) is responsible for driving the strategic agenda across the University, including providing analysis, insight, and high-level advice to the Vice-Chancellor and Principal and the University Executive on key strategic issues and opportunities. The Office instigates and facilitates strategic dialogue across the University to inform the development of future strategy and planning, and to drive opportunities for the University. The Portfolio incorporates the Strategy Office and the Central Program Management Office (PMO).
The Director, reporting to the Vice-Principal (Strategy), leads a team of professionals that work within a strategic context and alongside business (Portfolios, Faculties and Schools, and Professional Service Units) in building and deploying effective program management capability. Deploying a client-focused approach, the PMO develops and provides services within the key focus areas of project design and planning, resource and budget planning, whole of project portfolio tracking and reporting, and project and organisational change management capability.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 5.30pm 28 November 2017
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.