Senior Desktop Specialist
Macquarie is the University of pioneering minds. Globally recognised as one of Australia's leading research universities, Macquarie is a place where extraordinary new possibilities come to light. At Macquarie you'll join a vibrant community of diverse perspectives, all working towards a brighter future for our communities and our planet. Surrounded by a beautiful parkland campus, our students and staff are free to explore and discover, supported by facilities including a high-tech library, private teaching hospital, gym and pools, childcare facilities, a campus train station and the newly expanded Macquarie Centre shopping complex next door.
Macquarie University's central IT Department delivers a range of core services covering wired and wireless networks, infrastructure, applications, desktop support, telecommunications, design and procurement of systems, project management and business analysis services, strategic IT security, and a growing number of support and advice services (such as information and data management).
IT is striving to better align the support service to enhancement of the student and staff experience, facilitation of research and teaching collaborative activities. The IT organisational structure is designed to create a more service oriented structure, which is underpinned by best practice IT Service Management (ITSM) and the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) framework. There are four key directorates as follows:
- Infrastructure & Applications
- Faculty Engagement & Systems Support
- Client Services
- Policy, Compliance & Programme Management Office (PMO)
The IT Client Services group comprises the Service Desk and Desktop Support teams as well as the IT Vendor Management and Software Licensing functions delivering client facing IT services to University Students and Staff.
Reporting to the Desktop Support Manager, the Senior Desktop Specialist within the Desktop Support team provides highly skilled desktop services to clients.
- Provide specialist desktop support in the following range of services: hardware and software lifecycle management (including SOE), mobile device management, print management, desktop telephony, VoIP services, administration of cloud services ( e.g O365) and supporting senior executive staff.
- Be subject matter expert in at least one of these systems - SCCM, Casper or Air-watch. Be able to mentor other Desktop Support and Service Desk staff in technical specialty. As well as be the escalation point within the Desktop Support team for the area of technical specialisation.
- Provide clients with desktop support and 1x1 training across the entire range of services outlined above.
- Perform on-site installation, configuration, upgrade and testing of new services or analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of Incidents (faults).
- Manage escalation of faults to external vendors for repair and support.
- Assist in the management of relocation projects.
- Maintain relevant ITSM logs, inventories and documentation, updating client tickets in a timely fashion and communicating appropriately depending on the nature of the issue, in line with ITIL processes and procedures.
- Assist with the production of statistical and other reporting related to the desktop environment.
- Contribute to the identification and development of technical specifications and management of new desktop hardware and related products.
- Research and evaluate new desktop products and services and document findings.
- Provide desktop support for other IT projects as directed
To be considered for this position, please apply online with your CV, cover letter and statement addressing the selection criteria below.
- Experienced in supporting hardware and software lifecycle management (including SOE), mobile device management, print management, desktop telephony, VoIP services, administration of cloud services (e.g. O365) and supporting senior executive staff. with a high level of skill. Demonstrates advanced technical knowledge of these systems and services and is a subject matter expert in at least one. ITIL V3 certification mandatory.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Actively demonstrates a client focused approach in all activities and takes ownership to resolve client requests. Identifies and analyses client needs and offers solutions appropriate to the client's role and level of technical understanding.
- Excellent Incident Management and troubleshooting skills. Documents all actions and troubleshooting steps and communicates these to relevant stakeholders.
- Experienced in coaching and mentoring peers in both technical and soft skills. And maintains awareness of technology developments.
- Proactively prioritises and manages own workload (and time) and assists other team members where appropriate. Takes initiative to improve existing services and processes.
- Experience drafting technical documentation and FAQs for both technical staff and clients.
Salary Package: from $80,231 - $88,561 (HEW 6) plus 9.5% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading.
Appointment Type: full-time, fixed term (12 month contract)
Specific Role Enquires: Swinder Sandhu, Desktop Support Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org
General Recruitment Enquiries: Jason Abbott, HR Graduate Intern on email@example.com
Applications Close: Monday, 20 November 2017 at 11:55pm (AEDT)
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.